Electricity; Calculating Resistance.

In summary, according to the textbook, the resistance of a strand of aluminium wire of diameter 4.0mm and length 1.0m will be 4.99Ωm^-1. However, my answer, which is calculated using the strands in parallel, differs by 1.26*10^-4. This suggests that something is wrong with the textbook's calculation.
FlyingSpartan

Homework Statement

Calculate the resistance of a strand of aluminium wire of diameter 4.0mm and length 1.0m, given its resistivity is 2.5*10^-8 Ωm. What would be the resistance per meter of 50 strands of this wire, using the strands in parallel as a cable?

Homework Equations

∏d^2/4 for area
ρ=RA/L,
Where ρ = Given resistivity
R= Resistance
A= Cross sectional Area
L= Length

The Attempt at a Solution

4.00mm Diameter → 4*10^-3 Converted to Meters
Length = 1m
Resistivity = 2.5*10^-8 Ωm

So I found out the Area using ∏d^2/4;∏*(4*10^-3)/4 which = 1.26*10^-5 m^2

Then I used the formula
ρ=RA/L,
rearranging for R,
ρL/A = R

and subbing in the values;

2.5*10^-8 * 1 /1.26*10^-5

which gives an answer of 1.989*10^-3 Ωm^-1

thus i multiplied it by 50 which gives a final answer of 0.09945

However my answer differs from the answer of the book which is given as 4.99Ωm^-1

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
FlyingSpartan said:
which gives an answer of 1.989*10^-3 Ωm^-1

You've got it right up to here, so this is effectively resistance per length of one strand. And the question says that there are 50 of these strands in parallel, so now you've got to work out the total resistance of the cable due to parallel strands.

Last edited:
The answer in the book looks wrong... are you certain you read it correctly.
I also got the resistance/m of 1 strand to be 1.98 x 10^-3
50 of these in PARALLEL will not have a resistance of 4.99 Ωm^-1
Is there a power of 10 missing somewhere?

I've tried to calculate the resistors in paralell;

1/r = 50 * 1/1.989*10^-3

R= 3.97*10^-5

which is still far from the answer, maybe the book is wrong?

I got 3.97*10^-5 as well, so maybe the book is wrong...

I get the same as you (your original textbook answer did not have a 10^-5 in it !)
The textbook is wrong but I can't see an obvious error.
One thing you can be sure of, when resistors are in parallel the combined resistance must be less than any of the single resistors.
Cheers

Welcome to PF!

Hi FlyingSpartan! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
FlyingSpartan said:
Calculate the resistance of a strand of aluminium wire of diameter 4.0mm and length 1.0m, given its resistivity is 2.5*10^-8 Ωm.

However my answer differs from the answer of the book which is given as 4.99Ωm^-1
FlyingSpartan said:
I've tried to calculate the resistors in paralell;

1/r = 50 * 1/1.989*10^-3

R= 3.97*10^-5

hmm :rolleyes: … 4.99/3.97*10-5 = 1.26*104

that's the area! (times 10-to-the-something) :redface:

clearly something's gone very wrong here! :smile:

Related to Electricity; Calculating Resistance.

1. What is resistance and how is it calculated?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow through a material. It is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the formula R = V/I.

2. What unit is used to measure resistance?

The unit used to measure resistance is the ohm (Ω), named after the German physicist Georg Ohm who first discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

3. How does the length and thickness of a wire affect its resistance?

The length of a wire has a direct effect on its resistance, meaning that the longer the wire, the higher the resistance. This is because the electrons have to travel a longer distance, causing more collisions and slowing down the current. The thickness or cross-sectional area of a wire also affects its resistance, with thicker wires having lower resistance as there is more space for the electrons to flow.

4. What other factors can affect resistance?

Aside from length and thickness, there are a few other factors that can affect resistance. These include the material of the wire (some materials have higher resistance than others), temperature (resistance increases as temperature increases), and the presence of impurities or defects in the wire.

5. How does resistance impact the flow of electricity in a circuit?

Resistance impacts the flow of electricity in a circuit by limiting the amount of current that can flow through it. The higher the resistance, the lower the current and vice versa. This is why resistors are often used in circuits to control the flow of electricity and protect components from being damaged by too much current.