Electricity/Electric Field Questions

• Thread starter seiferseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the answers are as follows: 1) Fe = 2*1.6x10^-19*752) a) Fe = 0.45 N2.16 x 10^11 N/C3) E = 250 N/C4) Q = 3.0 x 10^-6 C5) E = 5.4 x 10^10 N/C
seiferseph
I've attached the questions from a worksheet.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/seiferseph/1.jpg

For starters, how do i do the first one? i know Fe = q*E, but what is the charge? is it just 2 x 1.6x10^16 (because there are two protons?)

for the rest, here are the answers i got, could anyone confirm any? I'm not sure about these.

2) a) Fe = 0.45 N
b) E = 4.5 x 10^9 N/C
3) E = 250 N/C
4) Q = 3.0 x 10^-6 C
5) E = 5.4 x 10^10 N/C to the right

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1.[itex] q_{p}=e\simeq 1.6\cdot 10^{-19}C [/itex]

Please show us how u did them.Numbers are least important when solving a problem.

Daniel.

seiferseph said:
I've attached the questions from a worksheet.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/seiferseph/1.jpg

For starters, how do i do the first one? i know Fe = q*E, but what is the charge? is it just 2 x 1.6x10^16 (because there are two protons?)

for the rest, here are the answers i got, could anyone confirm any? I'm not sure about these.

2) a) Fe = 0.45 N
b) E = 4.5 x 10^9 N/C
3) E = 250 N/C
4) Q = 3.0 x 10^-6 C
5) E = 5.4 x 10^10 N/C to the right
1. check your value for e. The charge of an alpha particle is 2e
2. a) correct: F = kqQ/r^2
b) correct: E = F/q
3. correct: E = F/e
4. correct magnitude but check the sign.
5. incorrect. check distance value.

AM

Andrew, why is the charge of an alpha particle 2e? I thought an alpha particle was electron-less.

It is.It's +2e,because of the 2 protons inside the nucleus...

Daniel.

Ok. The plus sign makes it all better :)

ok, so

1) Fe = 2*1.6x10^-19*75
and i get 2.4 x 10^17 N

4) isn't the sign + ? if the field is directed away from it, doesn't it mean its a positive charge in Q?

5), i used the radius of 1, when it should be 1/2. using 1/2, i get
2.16 x 10^11 N/C right

thanks again for all the help!

seiferseph said:
ok, so

1) Fe = 2*1.6x10^-19*75
and i get 2.4 x 10^17 N
Just a small slip on the exponent: 2.4 x 10^-17 N (but a huge difference). What is Fe? Shd be: F = qE where q = 2e.
4) isn't the sign + ? if the field is directed away from it, doesn't it mean its a positive charge in Q?
A trick question. The first sentence is irrelevant and designed to confuse - it succeeded. You are right. The field direction is given by the direction of motion of a + charge, which is away from Q so Q is +.

5), i used the radius of 1, when it should be 1/2. using 1/2, i get
2.16 x 10^11 N/C
Right.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Just a small slip on the exponent: 2.4 x 10^-17 N (but a huge difference). What is Fe? Shd be: F = qE where q = 2e.
A trick question. The first sentence is irrelevant and designed to confuse - it succeeded. You are right. The field direction is given by the direction of motion of a + charge, which is away from Q so Q is +.

Right.

AM

thanks for all this help, i was able to do all the problems from today (and get them right). :biggrin:

Related to Electricity/Electric Field Questions

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It can be found in nature, such as in lightning, or can be artificially created through various means.

2. How does electricity flow?

Electricity flows through a circuit, which is a closed loop of conductive material. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a power source, such as a battery, through the circuit to the positive terminal. This flow of electrons is known as an electric current.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which a charged particle, such as an electron, experiences a force. It is created by other charged particles and can be described as the force per unit charge at a specific point in space.

4. How is electric potential energy related to electric fields?

Electric potential energy is the energy a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. The closer the particle is to a source of charge, the higher its potential energy. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy as the particle moves in the electric field.

5. How is electricity used in everyday life?

Electricity is used in a wide range of applications in our daily lives, including powering our homes and electronics, providing lighting, and running transportation systems. It is also used in industries such as manufacturing and healthcare, and plays a crucial role in communication and technology.

Back