Electricity & Magnetism + Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: For instance, it has a bit more coverage of statistical thermodynamics, entropy, and thermal equilibrium.
rbrayana123
Electricity & Magnetism, Thermo + Quantum Mechanics?

Hi! I've recently completed my first semester of college and it's offered me some insights. For example... the world is three-dimensional and, as such, multidimensional calculus exists!

I managed to somehow survive Honors Mechanics but it made me realize something: I don't know jack about Physics or Math. Anywho, right now I really want to tackle on EM (Purcell), Thermo (Giancoli or Resnick-Halliday-Krane) & QM (Griffiths). From the looks of it, it seems like EM requires Multi, Lin Alg & Diff EQs. If anyone would like to add onto the list, please do.

As for QM & Thermo, I have the following questions:
  • What Physics/Math background should I build up before learning QM?
  • For Thermo?
  • Is it appropriate to do EM & QM simultaneously?
  • Can the Oxtoby's Principle of Modern Chemistry enrich the study of QM and/or Thermo, or would it simply be redundant?

My background:
  • Honors Mechanics + Waves. (Kleppner & Kolenkow + AP French) We didn't get to covering Non-Inertial Frames, Relativity or Fluid Dynamics and the treatment of Waves was really poor.
  • Multivariable Calculus (Stewart). It was a mellow introduction (which isn't bad given how difficult it was for me to grapple with Physics that semester...) but certainly not rigorous. My professor recommended Spivak.
  • Some basic Lin. Algebra (computational, not theoretical) but I don't have much basis in Diff EQs beyond a really hazy recollection of high school AP Calc curriculum.

Next semester, I'll be taking Diff EQs (Nagle-Snaff-Snider) & Lin Alg (Lay). I'll probably supplement Lin Alg with Axler's Linear Algebra, Done Right. Any critiques or suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rbrayana123 said:
Hi! I've recently completed my first semester of college and it's offered me some insights. For example... the world is three-dimensional and, as such, multidimensional calculus exists!

I managed to somehow survive Honors Mechanics but it made me realize something: I don't know jack about Physics or Math. Anywho, right now I really want to tackle on EM (Purcell) & QM (Griffiths). From the looks of it, it seems like EM requires Multi, Lin Alg & Diff EQs. If anyone would like to add onto the list, please do.

As for QM, I have the following questions:
  • What Physics/Math background should I build up before learning QM?
  • Is it appropriate to do EM & QM simultaneously?
  • Would an understanding of Quantum Chemistry enrich QM or would it be redundant. (Oxtoby, Principles of Modern Chemistry).
The math background you need depends on your goals. For Griffiths, you need to know multivariable calculus and some differential equation techniques. Linear algebra would be fantastic but it's not a strict pre req for starting Griffiths.

Quantum chemistry would enrich your study of quantum mechanics. Keep in mind though, oxtoby is an honors gen chem text, not a quantum chemistry text. Quantum chemistry should be learned after one has a good grasp of quantum mechanics. For your background though, Oxtoby probably has a lot to offer though in terms of quantum, but mainly for thermodynamics.

My professor tells me that Linear Algebra is the only formal mathematical pre-requisite necessary for QM

Thank you for the swift reply! I'm well aware Oxtoby is an Honors Gen Chem text and I wanted to see if I can somehow incorporate it into my studies since I've spent last semester lamenting over having taking Gen Chem rather than Honors Gen Chem.

Also, what exactly do you mean by this statement? I forgot to mention I'll also be learning Thermo from either Giancoli or RHK.

Jorriss said:
Oxtoby probably has a lot to offer though in terms of quantum, but mainly for thermodynamics.

rbrayana123 said:
Anywho, right now I really want to tackle on EM (Purcell), Thermo (Giancoli or Resnick-Halliday-Krane) & QM (Griffiths). From the looks of it, it seems like EM requires Multi, Lin Alg & Diff EQs.

Purcell doesn't really require any of those subjects as prerequisites. Purcell introduces the necessary vector calculus as he goes along. But of course a more extensive math background always makes things easier.

PhizKid said:
My professor tells me that Linear Algebra is the only formal mathematical pre-requisite necessary for QM
This is true as one gets higher in QM and switches to more formalism.

rbrayana123 said:
Thank you for the swift reply! I'm well aware Oxtoby is an Honors Gen Chem text and I wanted to see if I can somehow incorporate it into my studies since I've spent last semester lamenting over having taking Gen Chem rather than Honors Gen Chem.

Also, what exactly do you mean by this statement? I forgot to mention I'll also be learning Thermo from either Giancoli or RHK.
Oxtoby has some good chapters on thermodynamics. They're at about the same level as an into physics book, but I think a bit better.

jtbell said:
To prepare for quantum mechanics, consider an "introductory modern physics" book such as the ones that I mention in this post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3391076&#post3391076

Also look at the rest of the discussion in that thread.

Thank you! I think I might delve into Tipler & Llewellyn before Griffiths and focus on learning Linear Algebra with Axler.

Griffiths QM book is easy, you could start with that and not ever had taken a modern physics course.

Related to Electricity & Magnetism + Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The relationship between electricity and magnetism is known as electromagnetism. It describes how electric currents create magnetic fields and how changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This is governed by Maxwell's equations, which unify the concepts of electricity and magnetism into one theory.

2. What are the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. Its fundamental principles include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles explain the probabilistic nature of quantum systems and how particles behave differently than classical objects.

3. How does electricity and magnetism relate to quantum mechanics?

Electricity and magnetism are both manifestations of quantum mechanics. Electrons, which are fundamental particles in electricity, exhibit wave-like behavior described by quantum mechanics. The magnetic field produced by moving charges is also governed by quantum principles. Additionally, quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of materials in electric and magnetic fields.

4. What is the role of quantum mechanics in modern technology?

Quantum mechanics has revolutionized modern technology in various fields, including electronics, computing, and telecommunications. Many devices, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, rely on quantum principles for their operation. Quantum computing, which utilizes the properties of quantum particles, is also being developed to potentially solve complex problems faster than classical computers.

5. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with matter?

Electric and magnetic fields can interact with matter in different ways. When an electric field is applied to a material, it can induce a separation of positive and negative charges, leading to an electric current. Magnetic fields can also exert forces on charged particles, causing them to move. In some materials, electric and magnetic fields can also affect the alignment and behavior of atoms and molecules, leading to unique properties such as magnetism.