[Electrochemisry] How to find the Cathode and Anode, and oxidation and reduction

In summary, the question asks for the identification of the anode, cathode, and chemicals that underwent oxidation and reduction in an electrochemical cell experiment with solutions of Cu(NO3)2, Pb(NO3)2, and a salt bridge of KNO3. Using the Standard Reduction Potentials of Half Cells table from the Gr 12 Data booklet, it was determined that the copper strip was the anode and underwent oxidation, while the lead strip was the cathode and underwent reduction.
link2110

Homework Statement

This is from a lab question, but i think i did it right, i would just like some confirmation. I had to make an electochmical cell for a lab, (actually mutiple ones) but it asks me to find the anode, cathode, and which chemical underwent oxidation and reduction. If you have a solution of Cu(NO3)2 with a copper strip in that solution, and another beaker with a solution of Pb(NO3)2, and a lead strip inside that solution with a salt bridge of KNO3 connecting them, then identify the cathode, anode, and the chemicals that underwent oxidation, and reduction.

Homework Equations

I used the Gr 12 Data booklet that has the Standard Reduction Potentials of Half Cells table in it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the copper was the anode and it underwent oxidation and the lead was the cathode and it underwent reduction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

Simple reactivity series tells that you must be wrong.

ok i got the right answer now thanks a lot!

Related to [Electrochemisry] How to find the Cathode and Anode, and oxidation and reduction

What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between species. It is the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions.

How do you determine the cathode and anode in electrochemistry?

The cathode is the electrode where reduction occurs, while the anode is the electrode where oxidation occurs. To determine the cathode and anode, you can use the mnemonic "AN OX" - Anode is the site of oxidation, and the word "OIL RIG" - Oxidation is Loss of electrons, Reduction is Gain of electrons.

What is oxidation and reduction in electrochemistry?

Oxidation is the process of losing electrons, while reduction is the process of gaining electrons. In electrochemistry, oxidation occurs at the anode, and reduction occurs at the cathode.

How do you balance a redox reaction in electrochemistry?

To balance a redox reaction, you need to identify the species that are being oxidized and reduced, determine their oxidation states, and balance the number of electrons transferred. Then, balance the atoms and charges on both sides of the equation by adding appropriate coefficients.

What is the importance of electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is important in many areas such as energy storage, corrosion prevention, and electroplating. It also plays a crucial role in biological systems, as many biological processes involve redox reactions. Additionally, electrochemistry is used in the production of various chemicals and metals.