Electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculation

In summary, to calculate the minimum mass of carbon needed to reduce 1.00 kg of zinc oxide, the balanced equation of ZnO + C = Zn + CO or ZnO + C = Zn + CO2 can be used. Using the molar masses of each element, the mole ratios can be calculated to determine the mass of carbon needed.
ambition218

Homework Statement

Calculate the minimum mass of carbon needed to reduce 1.00 kg from sufficient zinc oxide.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the equation would be 2 ZnO + C = Zn + CO2
I know the molar mass of C is 12.01, O is 16 and Zn is 65.4

I have been taking Chemisty by distance and nowhere in my text materials can I find how to solve this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a simple stoichiometry. First, balance your reaction equation - you already have correct reactants and products. Do you know how to read reaction equation?

Good guess on the chemical equation...but this type of reaction is smelting of a metal oxide via a heat furnace, which is done industrially. The products for this reaction is not CO2 but is CO, carbon monoxide. The reaction should look like: ZnO+C>Zn+CO

You need to take mole ratios of what is given...a trick is sometimes if you forget a formula is to use the units given and then play with them to get what you want.

From what I understand CO is still strong enough reducing agent to reduce ZnO, so both products (CO & CO2) are possible.

I can help you with this problem. First, we need to determine the amount of zinc oxide (ZnO) that needs to be reduced. Since we have 1.00 kg of ZnO, we can convert this into moles using its molar mass, which is 81.4 g/mol. This gives us 1000 g / 81.4 g/mol = 12.28 moles of ZnO.

Next, we need to determine the amount of carbon (C) needed to reduce this amount of ZnO. From the balanced chemical equation you provided, we know that 2 moles of ZnO requires 1 mole of C. Therefore, we need half the amount of moles of C compared to ZnO. This means we need 12.28 moles / 2 = 6.14 moles of C.

Finally, we can calculate the mass of carbon needed by multiplying the moles of C by its molar mass, which is 12.01 g/mol. This gives us 6.14 moles * 12.01 g/mol = 73.6 g of C.

Therefore, the minimum mass of carbon needed to reduce 1.00 kg of ZnO is 73.6 g. I hope this helps with your homework problem!

Related to Electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculation

1. What is electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculation?

Electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculation is a process used to determine the mass of a metal that can be extracted from a given amount of ore using electrochemical methods. It takes into account factors such as the molar mass of the metal, the number of electrons involved in the electrochemical reaction, and the efficiency of the reaction.

2. How is electrochemistry used in metallurgy?

Electrochemistry is used in metallurgy to extract metals from their ores. This is done by using electricity to drive a chemical reaction that separates the metal from the ore. Electrochemistry is also used in refining processes to purify metals and create alloys.

3. What factors affect the mass of metal that can be extracted using electrochemistry?

The mass of metal that can be extracted using electrochemistry depends on the type of metal, the efficiency of the electrochemical reaction, and the amount of ore being processed. Other factors such as temperature, pH, and current density can also affect the mass of metal that can be extracted.

4. How accurate are electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculations?

The accuracy of electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculations depends on the precision of the experimental measurements and the assumptions made in the calculations. Overall, these calculations can provide a good estimate of the mass of metal that can be extracted, but the actual yield may vary depending on the specific conditions of the process.

5. What are some applications of electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculation?

Electrochemistry metallurgy mass calculation is used in a variety of industries, including mining, metal production, and recycling. It is also important in research and development of new materials, as well as in environmental remediation efforts such as removing heavy metals from contaminated soils and water.