Electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere: total charge inside

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the electric and magnetic fields in a rotating sphere, as well as calculating the total charge inside the sphere in both the stationary and rotating frames. The formulas for the electric and magnetic fields were provided, as well as the Lorentz transformation equations. The conversation also touched on the issue of finding the surface element to use in the integral for the total charge, with the conclusion that the conventional surface element can still be used despite the rotation of the sphere.
/flûks/

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of radius a rotates with angular velocity ω[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] relative to an inertial frame K in which the sphere's center is at rest. In a frame K' located at the surface of the sphere, there is no electric field, and the magnetic field is a dipole field with M=M[itex]\hat{z}[/itex] located at the center of the sphere.

First find the electric and magnetic fields as measured in the K frame and do not assume ωa<<c, then calculate the total charge inside the planet also in the K frame, this time assuming ωa<<c.

Homework Equations

(i) [itex]\textbf{B}=\frac{3 \hat{r} \left( \hat{r} \bullet \textbf{M} \right) - \textbf{M}} {a^{3}}[/itex]

(ii) Q[itex]_{enc}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{4π}\int \textbf{E} \bullet \textbf{da}[/itex]

Also the Lorentz transformation equations to go from E' to E and B' to B (don't want to type...):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorent...z_transformation_of_the_electromagnetic_field

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the transformed electric and magnetic fields, and I want to use (ii) to find the total charge using the electric field I get:

[itex]\textbf{E}=\frac{Mω} {ca^{2} \sqrt{1-\frac{ω^{2}a^{2}} {c^{2}}sin^{2} \left(θ \right)}} \left(sin^{2}θ \hat{r} - 2sinθcosθ \hat{θ} \right)[/itex]

BUT I do not know what da would be in this case, since the sphere is rotating in the K frame. Conventionally da is just

[itex]r dr dθ \hat{r}[/itex]

EDIT: but that surface element only accounts for part of the electric flux. I guess I'm just not sure. Any insights on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi /flûks/! :smile:
/flûks/ said:
BUT I do not know what da would be in this case, since the sphere is rotating in the K frame. Conventionally da is just

[itex]r dr dθ \hat{r}[/itex]

it doesn't matter that the real sphere is rotating …

you're integrating over an imaginary sphere! :wink:
(since you have found E in the stationary frame, you integrate as usual)

Related to Electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere: total charge inside

1. What is the significance of studying the electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere?

The study of electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere is important in understanding the behavior of charged objects in motion, which has applications in various fields such as electricity, magnetism, and astronomy.

2. How is the total charge inside a rotating solid sphere related to its electromagnetic fields?

The total charge inside a rotating solid sphere is directly related to its electromagnetic fields, as the movement of the charges within the sphere creates the electromagnetic fields.

3. How is the total charge inside a rotating solid sphere calculated?

The total charge inside a rotating solid sphere can be calculated by integrating the charge density over the volume of the sphere, taking into account the distribution of charge within the sphere.

4. What factors affect the strength of the electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere?

The strength of the electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere is affected by several factors, including the speed of rotation, the magnitude and distribution of charge within the sphere, and the distance from the center of the sphere.

5. How do the electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere differ from those of a stationary sphere?

The electromagnetic fields of a rotating solid sphere differ from those of a stationary sphere in that they are time-varying and have additional components due to the presence of moving charges. Additionally, the fields may exhibit a phenomenon known as frame dragging, where the rotation of the sphere affects the space and time around it.