Electromagnetic Induction (Flux linkage)

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a rotating rectangular coil in a magnetic field. The value of theta at which the magnetic flux through the coil is a minimum is 0, and the maximum flux linkage occurs when theta is 90 degrees. The correct calculations for the problem are provided and confirmed by the other person in the conversation.
JosephF
Apologies for numerous posts today, I'm trying to catch up from work I missed last term, and my uni is on holiday at the moment so can't get help from lecturers.

I've been set the following which I think I've got correct, but not 100%. Am I right in calculating the area in m2?

Homework Statement

2. A rectangular coil measuring 20mm by 35mm and having 650 turns is rotating about a horizontal axis which is at right angles to a uniform magnetic field of flux density 2.5x10-3T. The plane of the coil makes an angle θ with the vertical, as shown in the diagrams.

(i) State the value of θ when the magnetic flux through the coil is a minimum.
(ii) Calculate the magnetic flux passing through the coil when θ is 30o.
(iii) What is the maximum flux linkage through the coil as it rotates?

Homework Equations

ΔΦ=NBAsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Φ is at a minimum when θ=0

ii) ΔΦ=650x(2.5x10-3)x(0.002x0.0035)sin30

=1.365x10-5sin30

=5.6875x10-6Wb

iii) Flux linkage is maximum when θ=90

ΔΦ=1.375x10-5sin90

=1.375x10-5Wb

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost, 1 m = 1000 mm, so 20 mm =20*10^-3m=0.02m. So you're a factor 100 off regarding the area.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

i) Φ is at a minimum when θ=0

ii) ΔΦ=650x(2.5x10-3)x(0.02x0.035)sin30

=1.1375x10-3sin30

=5.6875x10-4Wb

iii) Flux linkage is maximum when θ=90

ΔΦ=1.1375x10-3sin90

=1.1375x10-3Wb

-----------------

Ah, that was careless of me! Thanks for pointing it out. Is everything now correct. Am I right with my assumptions of min when θ=0 and max when θ=90?

Thanks,

Yes everything seems to be correct now. Your assumptions are easy to check. When theta is 0 the coil is parallel to the magnetic field so no field lines pass through the coil. When theta is 90 degrees the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field and a maximum amount of field lines go through the coil.

That brilliant. Thanks again.

FAQ: Electromagnetic Induction (Flux linkage)

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces a current in a conductor. This phenomenon was discovered by Michael Faraday in the 19th century and is a fundamental principle in the study of electromagnetism.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by creating a changing magnetic field near a conductor. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the conductor, according to Faraday's law of induction. The strength of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.

What is flux linkage in electromagnetic induction?

Flux linkage is a measure of the amount of magnetic flux that passes through a conducting loop or coil. It is directly related to the strength of the induced current in the loop. The unit of flux linkage is weber-turns (Wb-turns) in the International System of Units (SI).

What factors affect the amount of flux linkage in electromagnetic induction?

The amount of flux linkage in electromagnetic induction is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conducting loop, and the area of the loop. A stronger magnetic field, more turns, and a larger area all lead to a greater amount of flux linkage and a stronger induced current.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices such as induction cooktops and wireless charging pads. Additionally, electromagnetic induction is an essential concept in the fields of power generation, telecommunications, and electronics.