Electromagnetic Linear Coupling

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a way to move a platform inside a container without direct connection. The proposed solution involves using an electromagnet attached to a linear guide outside of the container, which will couple with the platform inside through its magnetic field. The platform will weigh less than 2lb and the container will be filled with water. The platform must be well attached to the magnet with no drift or slip and will move slowly. The possibility of using permanent magnets and the design for best performance are also considered. Additional information is requested for further assistance.
Phife
Hello,

I am trying to design a way to move a platform that is inside a container without any direct connection to the platform.

I hope to have a linear guide outside of the container with an electromagnet attached. When the electromagnet is energized it will couple with the platform inside the container with its magnetic field and as the electromagnet moves up and down the platform inside moves as well.

The gap between the electromagnet and platform will be between 3-6mm. The platform will weigh less than 2lb. The container will be filled with water.

I need the platform to be well attached to the magnet, there can be no drift or slip. The platform will move very slowly.

Is this possible? Would a set of permanent magnets work better? I've read that the lifting type electromagnets don't have much reach. What sort of design would work best?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, I know very little about magnets.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

FAQ: Electromagnetic Linear Coupling

1. What is electromagnetic linear coupling?

Electromagnetic linear coupling is the phenomenon where an electric current in one conductor induces a voltage in an adjacent conductor, leading to a transfer of energy between the two conductors. This is also known as electromagnetic induction.

2. How does electromagnetic linear coupling work?

When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a magnetic field around the conductor. This magnetic field can induce a voltage in an adjacent conductor, which can then lead to an electric current in that conductor. This process is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for electromagnetic linear coupling.

3. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic linear coupling?

Electromagnetic linear coupling has several practical applications, including wireless power transfer, transformers, and induction motors. It is also used in wireless charging for devices such as smartphones and electric toothbrushes.

4. What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic linear coupling?

The strength of electromagnetic linear coupling depends on factors such as the distance between the two conductors, the strength of the magnetic field, and the materials and geometry of the conductors. It also depends on the frequency of the current and the presence of any external interference.

5. How is electromagnetic linear coupling different from electromagnetic resonance?

Electromagnetic linear coupling and electromagnetic resonance are both based on electromagnetic induction, but they differ in their frequency response. Electromagnetic linear coupling is most efficient at low frequencies, while electromagnetic resonance is most efficient at higher frequencies. Additionally, electromagnetic resonance involves the use of resonant circuits, while electromagnetic linear coupling does not.