Electromagnetic particle collector?

In summary, the conversation discussed the development of a small electromagnet that could pick up small shavings made of 70-80% Fe and 10-40 microns in size. They went through several iterations of magnets and determined that a scaled down version of a suspended electromagnetic separator used in coal mining could be a solution. However, the current design does not work and there are questions about the flux path and the materials being used. The suggestion was made to consult with an engineering college for advice and an alternative solution was proposed using a magnetite collector rod.
Cbowen546
Hey everyone, I am trying to develop a small electromagnet to pick up (relatively) large amounts small shavings which are roughly 70-80% Fe in composition and are roughly 10-40 microns in size. This device needs to be powered by a maximum of two D-Cell batteries (maybe we can look into alternate power sources of similar sizes).

We went through a few iterations of magnets before coming here. I am using a 1018 full annealed (slow cooled in normal atmosphere) steel rod 0.25 in diameter rod for cores. We started with a straight core with a ~250 turn binary coil of 24ga magnet wire. We wound a few different coils and determined pole to pole distance was too great and these would not work for our application.

Next iteration was a U shaped core to bring poles closer together (1.0in apart) with same specs as above (.25” 1018 steel core, 24ga magnet wire, ~250 turns). For these we wound two parallel coils, one on top of the other with ~250 turns total. These picked up some of the particles but not nearly enough. We then moved poles even closer on these EM’s with somewhat better results but still nothing to report on.

Now we are looking at developing a scaled down version of a suspended electromagnetic separator like they use in coal mining. I built a case from mild steel tube and two end plates of mild steel (see mspaint drawing) all components have a light press fit (so I can take it apart if need be and so we don’t deform the parts too much). This “separator” does not work at all. No attraction to anything. This makes sense due to the complete flux path but then how do the mining units work? Do the components need to be welded together and should there be a small air gap from one pole if the coil to the case?

What am I missing here? There has to be a good way to make an electromagnet pick up small shavings like these. A good neodymium magnet picks up enough of the dust to make it worth while but we really need the on-off capabilities of an EM for this process…

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Chris

Attachments

• magnet.JPG
    magnet.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 365
Engineering news on Phys.org
Educated guess, You need much smaller wire and many more turns and more layers.

Does the electromagnetic separator used in coal mines have one end that is nonmagnetic? Some of the stainless steels are nonmagnetic.

Is there an engineering college near you? One of the professors will probably give you good advice for free.

My version of the separator was an educated guess off a vague drawing i found online so i am not entirely sure how they work.

Thats a great idea, there is an engineering college right up the street!

Thanks!

Go to Images in Google search and type in 'magnetite collector rod'. Look for something that resembles a 1/2" PVC pipe inside a 3/4"PVC pipe with a rubber collor at one end. I've found that this workds very well, very mobile and you won't need any power.

Related to Electromagnetic particle collector?

1. How does an electromagnetic particle collector work?

An electromagnetic particle collector uses an electric field to attract and collect particles from the surrounding air. The particles are then charged and collected on a surface where they can be analyzed.

2. What types of particles can an electromagnetic particle collector collect?

An electromagnetic particle collector can collect a wide range of particles, including dust, pollutants, bacteria, and even viruses. The size and type of particles collected depend on the specific design and settings of the collector.

3. What are the advantages of using an electromagnetic particle collector?

One of the main advantages of using an electromagnetic particle collector is its ability to collect particles in real-time, providing immediate results. It is also non-destructive, meaning that the collected particles can be further analyzed or studied after collection.

4. Can an electromagnetic particle collector be used in different environments?

Yes, an electromagnetic particle collector can be used in a variety of environments, including indoor and outdoor settings. It can also be used in different industries, such as healthcare, manufacturing, and environmental monitoring.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from an electromagnetic particle collector?

The accuracy of the results obtained from an electromagnetic particle collector depends on various factors, such as the design and calibration of the collector, as well as the type and size of particles being collected. However, with proper calibration and maintenance, an electromagnetic particle collector can provide highly accurate results.