Electromagnetic simulators with motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a software package that can accurately simulate the motion of a metallic object through a magnetic field. The individual has tried out various simulators but has been unable to simulate the motion of the object due to simulated forces. They are looking for suggestions or recommendations for a software package that can meet their needs.
pYr0rAGE
Hi all

For a recent project, I am looking to simulate a metallic object moving through a magnetic field (think modeling the motion of a solenoid core inside of a coil of wire). I've tried out simulators such as MaxFEM and meep, but I can't seem to figure out how to simulate the motion of an object due to simulated forces. The best I can do is set up a bunch of static simulations, moving the object a fixed distance each time. Is there a software package that would be suitable for this purposes?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

FAQ: Electromagnetic simulators with motion

1. What is an electromagnetic simulator with motion?

An electromagnetic simulator with motion is a software tool used in the field of electromagnetics to model and simulate the behavior of electromagnetic systems that involve moving parts. This type of simulator takes into account the effects of motion on the electromagnetic fields and allows for more accurate analysis and prediction of system performance.

2. What are the applications of electromagnetic simulators with motion?

Electromagnetic simulators with motion have a wide range of applications, including designing and optimizing motors, generators, transformers, and other electromagnetic devices. They are also used in the design of wireless communication systems, radar systems, and medical imaging equipment.

3. How do electromagnetic simulators with motion work?

These simulators use numerical methods to solve the governing equations of electromagnetics, such as Maxwell's equations, while taking into account the motion of the system. They use algorithms to model the motion and calculate the resulting electromagnetic fields, allowing for the analysis of system behavior over time.

4. What are the advantages of using electromagnetic simulators with motion?

One of the main advantages of using these simulators is their ability to accurately model the complex interactions between electromagnetic fields and moving parts. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of system behavior and can lead to improved designs and optimized performance. Additionally, using simulators can save time and resources compared to physical prototyping and testing.

5. Are there any limitations of electromagnetic simulators with motion?

While electromagnetic simulators with motion are powerful tools, they do have some limitations. They rely on accurate input parameters and assumptions, and may not account for all physical phenomena. Therefore, it is important to validate the results of simulations with real-world testing. Additionally, these simulators can be computationally intensive and may require specialized hardware and software.