Electromagnetism Help: Get Unstuck Now!

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a problem regarding the power consumption of an electrical appliance in different countries. The original problem statement was edited and the conversation ends with the thread being closed.
butterflycandy
Homework Statement
nevermind
Relevant Equations
V=IR
Completely lost :(

Physics news on Phys.org
This may be difficult to answer without more info.

me too. what's your question?

hutchphd said:
This may be difficult to answer without more info.
DaveE said:
me too. what's your question?
When I first replied, there was a problem statement about an electrical appliance that consumes 800 W when connected to a 120 V outlet in Canada. The question was how much power it would consume in the UK where the outlets are 240 V. There were five choices, all in kW, which I don't remember except for the correct one which can be easily reconstructed and "zero" which means that Canadian appliances in the UK would be useless.

It seems that OP replaced the statement of the problem with "nevermind", but the post was not stamped as having been edited. Oh well.

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
Yeah, he edited it right away, so there is no "History" link in his post that I can see. Thread is closed.

Likes kuruman

Related to Electromagnetism Help: Get Unstuck Now!

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between electric fields and magnetic fields. It describes how electric charges produce electric fields, how moving charges produce magnetic fields, and how these fields interact with each other and with matter.

How are electric fields and magnetic fields related?

Electric fields and magnetic fields are interrelated aspects of a single phenomenon known as the electromagnetic field. According to Maxwell's equations, a changing electric field can produce a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can produce an electric field. This relationship is the basis for electromagnetic waves, such as light.

What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe how electric and magnetic fields are generated and altered by each other and by charges and currents. They are: Gauss's law for electricity, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law of induction, and Ampère's law with Maxwell's addition.

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field creates an electric current in a conductor. This principle is the basis for many technologies, including electric generators and transformers. Faraday's law of induction quantifies this effect, stating that the induced electromotive force is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

How do electromagnets work?

Electromagnets work by using electric current to generate a magnetic field. When an electric current passes through a coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased by adding more turns to the coil or by increasing the current. Electromagnets are widely used in various applications, including electric motors, transformers, and magnetic storage devices.