Electromagnetism to deviate the path of an incoming bullet

In summary, the bullet may not be neutral and the friction with the pipe in the pistol could deprive him of electrons, but I wouldn't count on a massive deviation by em.fields.
Qyamat
Hello,everyone
I was thinking if electromagnetism could be used to deviate the path of an incoming bullet?

Physics news on Phys.org
U see,electromagnetism requires that bodies must have nonzero electrical charge.(in the first approximation).Now,the bullet may not be neutral.The friction with the pipe (?) in the pistol could deprive him of electrons,but i wouldn't count on a massive deviation by em.fields...

Daniel.

Qyamat said:
Hello,everyone
I was thinking if electromagnetism could be used to deviate the path of an incoming bullet?
Sure. Take a very thick plate of hard steel. Place it at a 45 degree angle to the bullet path. When the bullet gets close enough to the steel plate, the electomagnetic fields of the electrons and protons in the atoms in the bullet will interact with the electomagnetic fields of the electrons and protons in the atoms in the plate and the bullet (what is left of it) will deflect.

AM

Use a lot of UV-EM for a photoelectric effect that would eject electrons until it is sufficiently charged to be deflected by a DC field or magnetism (though ) ...

Or...

Radiate so much IR (absorbed by metals) that the bullet melts and scattered before it hits target...

Or...

Radiate with so much visible (reflected) that radiation pressure alone deviates it...

Or...

Radiate so much gamma and x-rays that... well, much of the above + nuclear reactions that might be preferentially oriented to add to radiation presure...

When a bullet hits it's target, the electrons in the bullet are repelled by the electrons in the target, via Coulomb interaction. The result being that the bullet bounces off, thereby being deviated from it's trajectory by Electromagnetism.

Although that's not the real answer you were looking for, right?

This sounds like my brother's idea of deflecting raindrops from a windshield using magnetic fields. It's like using a supercomputer to calculate your gas bill.

SpaceTiger said:
It's like using a supercomputer to calculate your gas bill.

So it has already been done? Damn. *throws away prototype*

Related to Electromagnetism to deviate the path of an incoming bullet

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles. It encompasses both electricity and magnetism.

2. How can electromagnetism be used to deviate the path of an incoming bullet?

Electromagnetism can be used to create a strong magnetic field that can interact with the metal in a bullet. By manipulating this magnetic field, the path of the bullet can be altered, causing it to deviate from its original trajectory.

3. What is the principle behind using electromagnetism to deviate a bullet's path?

The principle behind using electromagnetism to deviate a bullet's path is based on the Lorentz force law, which states that a charged particle moving through a magnetic field will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. By creating a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the bullet's path, a force can be exerted on the bullet to change its trajectory.

4. What are the benefits of using electromagnetism to deviate a bullet's path?

One of the main benefits of using electromagnetism to deviate a bullet's path is that it does not require any physical contact with the bullet. This means that it can be used from a distance, making it a safer option. Additionally, it allows for greater precision and control over the bullet's trajectory.

5. Are there any limitations to using electromagnetism to deviate a bullet's path?

Yes, there are some limitations to using electromagnetism to deviate a bullet's path. The strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the source of the field and the bullet can affect the effectiveness of this method. Additionally, the type of metal used in the bullet can also impact its response to the magnetic field. Furthermore, this method may not be as effective against high-velocity bullets or in adverse weather conditions.