Electron accelerated between plates

In summary, an electron is accelerated horizontally from rest by a potential difference of 6380 V in a television picture tube. After passing between two horizontal plates with a potential difference of 118 V, the electron will be traveling at an angle of 0.124 radians. This was calculated using conservation of energy and kinematics equations.
pengumon

Homework Statement

An electron is accelerated horizontally from rest in a television picture tube by a potential difference of 6380 V. It then passes between two horizontal plates 2.55 cm long and 5.47 cm apart that have a potential difference of 118 V. At what angle θ will the electron be traveling after it passes between the plates?

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations, E=F/q, V=PE/q, V= -Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used conservation of energy to solve for the horizontal speed, Vq = (1/2)mv^2, to get 4.73E7 m/s. I then used that to find the time in between the plates, v = x/t getting t = 5.39E-10 s. Then I found the force due to the plates, F=Eq=-Vq/d= 3.45E-16 N = ma. Using this with the mass of the electron I solved for a, the vertical acceleration, to get a = 3.79E14 m/s^2 = (final vertical speed - initial vertical speed)/t. Since initial vertical speed = 0, a = v/t and I got the final vertical speed as 2.04E5 m/s. I then used (final speed)^2 = (initial speed)^2 +2ay to solve for y as the vertical distance travelled, which I got as 5.50E-5 m. I then set up a triangle so that tanθ = y/x = (5.50E-5)/(0.0255), and I finished with θ=0.124. This is the wrong answer, though and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Any elucidation is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just kidding, I figured it out. I need to use the final horizontal and vertical velocities, not distances, to find the angle.

FAQ: Electron accelerated between plates

1. How does an electron accelerate between plates?

When an electron is placed between two charged plates, it experiences a force due to the electric field created by the charged plates. This force causes the electron to accelerate towards the positively charged plate.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of an electron between plates?

The acceleration of an electron between plates is affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge on the plates, and the mass of the electron. The greater the electric field and the charge on the plates, the stronger the force on the electron and the faster it will accelerate. However, the mass of the electron also plays a role, as a heavier electron will have a harder time accelerating compared to a lighter electron.

3. How does the distance between plates affect the acceleration of an electron?

The distance between plates does not directly affect the acceleration of an electron. However, it does affect the strength of the electric field, which in turn affects the acceleration of the electron. The closer the plates are, the stronger the electric field and the faster the electron will accelerate.

4. Can the direction of the electric field affect the acceleration of an electron between plates?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can affect the acceleration of an electron between plates. If the electric field is pointing towards the negatively charged plate, the electron will accelerate towards the positively charged plate. However, if the electric field is pointing towards the positively charged plate, the electron will accelerate towards the negatively charged plate.

5. How can the acceleration of an electron between plates be calculated?

The acceleration of an electron between plates can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force on the electron, m is the mass of the electron, and a is the acceleration of the electron. The force on the electron can be calculated using the equation F=qE, where q is the charge of the electron and E is the electric field strength between the plates.