Electron enters uniform magnetic field and takes circular path

In summary, an electron enters a uniform magnetic field and goes through a half-circle before accelerating across a gap and hitting a collecting cup. The time it takes to go through the half-circle is 1.788E-9s. The total time can be found by adding the time to go through the half-circle to the time to reach the cup. The gap from the B field to the cup is 25 cm. The period, T, is the time it takes to complete one cycle. The equation used to find the time to go through the half-circle is Δt=(1/2)T=(1/2)(2πm/|q|B). To solve the problem, it is also necessary to understand the concept
jamesrb

Homework Statement

A time t = 0 an electron enters a region of uniform magnetic field B = 0.010 T and has kinetic energy of 6.40E-16 J. It goes through a half-circle, exits the field and then accelerates across a gap with a potential difference of 2000 V, increasing in speed. It then hits a collecting cup. At what time t does it hit the cup?

Homework Equations

Δt=(1/2)T=(1/2)(2πm/|q|B)
x=v0t+(1/2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the time to go through the half circle using the first equation above. It is 1.788E-9s. I need to find the time to get to the cup so I can add the two times up to get the total time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have attached a diagram of the problem.

Attachments

• ElectronCup.png
    ElectronCup.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 445
I think you need to find the radius of the circle using the force of the field on the electron. That will let you get the arc length.

Remember, B fields do no work.

Just out of curiosity, what is T in you're equation ?

One more thing, I don't believe you can solve this without knowing the size of the gap, or at least that it's negligbly small.

DOH! Should've read the diagram.

A) What is a Volt?
B) How does a Volt relate to distance and time? (Hint* express a Volt in more fundamental units)

answer these 2 questions and I think you can handle this question.

The gap from when the electron leaves the B field to the cup is 25 cm, its in the diagram. T is the period. I don't think the radius and arc length are needed.

Yea I think your equation should work, but I'm sticking to what I said about expressing Volts in fundamental units.

Related to Electron enters uniform magnetic field and takes circular path

1. What is the direction of the magnetic field in this scenario?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of the electron's motion and the direction of the circular path it takes.

2. How does the velocity of the electron affect the size of its circular path?

The velocity of the electron does not affect the size of its circular path. The size of the circular path is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the mass of the electron.

3. Can an electron enter a uniform magnetic field at any angle?

Yes, an electron can enter a uniform magnetic field at any angle. The direction of the magnetic field will cause the electron to change its direction of motion and take a circular path.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the radius of the circular path?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the radius of the circular path. As the strength of the magnetic field increases, the radius of the circular path also increases.

5. How does the mass of the electron affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field?

The mass of the electron does not affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field. However, the mass does determine the amount of force the electron experiences in the magnetic field, which in turn affects the radius of its circular path.