Electron Flow in Short-Circuited Battery: What to Expect?

In summary, the speed of electron flow in an electric circuit is very slow, and depends on a number of factors, such as the size of the circuit, the charge of the particles, and the current flowing through it.
nshamblin
What is the speed of electron flow in an eletric curcuit? A battery (cell) with a copper wire shorted across the positive and negative posts. What will the electron flow be through the copper wire?

Physics news on Phys.org
Each individual electron moves very slowly for example in a copper wire of radius 1 mm carrying a steady current of 10 Amps, the drift velocity is only about 0.024 cm/sec.

However because there are electrons throughout the whole length of the copper wire, its a bit like pushing on the end of a pipe full of putty, the putty at the opposite end starts to move even though your end hasn't moved very far.

does the speed change? or is it constant? for instance does the speed of I depend on its volume which would in turn be dependant on E or R ?

[itex] I = nAvQ[/itex]

Where,

I = electric current
n= charged particles per unit volume
A= cross sectional area of conductor
v= drift velocity
Q= charge of each particle

so therefore

[itex] v = \frac{I}{nAQ} [/itex]

Thank you for your help. I've been imersed in labor these past 40 years having to set aside some of the questions I've had since childhood. I thank you for clearing this one up. My electronics instructor years ago said the electrons in a cucuit moved at the speed of light, which I always questioned, because of mass issues, Now I know. thanks again.

nshamblin said:
Thank you for your help. I've been imersed in labor these past 40 years having to set aside some of the questions I've had since childhood. I thank you for clearing this one up. My electronics instructor years ago said the electrons in a cucuit moved at the speed of light, which I always questioned, because of mass issues, Now I know. thanks again.

http://www.jimloy.com/physics/electric.htm

This article should explain it a bit better than I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electron Flow in Short-Circuited Battery: What to Expect?

1. What is a short-circuited battery?

A short-circuited battery is a battery that has a direct connection between its positive and negative terminals, bypassing the intended circuit. This results in a large flow of current, potentially damaging the battery and any connected devices.

2. What causes a battery to short circuit?

A battery can short circuit due to a variety of reasons, such as physical damage to the battery casing or terminals, corrosion, or an internal malfunction. It can also occur if the battery is connected to a circuit with insufficient resistance, allowing for a high current flow.

3. How does a short circuit affect electron flow in a battery?

In a short-circuited battery, the flow of electrons is greatly increased due to the direct connection between the terminals. This can result in a rapid discharge of the battery, potentially causing it to overheat and fail.

4. What are the dangers of a short-circuited battery?

A short-circuited battery can pose various dangers, including overheating, explosion, and fire. The high current flow can also damage any connected devices or circuits.

5. How can a short-circuited battery be prevented?

To prevent a battery from short circuiting, it is essential to properly handle and store the battery, ensuring it is not physically damaged or exposed to corrosive materials. It is also important to use the correct type and size of battery for a device and avoid overcharging or overloading the battery.