Electron in a 1-D box. Quantum Numbers

In summary, in a one-dimensional rigid box, the energy levels only depend on the principle quantum number (n) and spin, resulting in a two-fold degeneracy for each energy level. The occupancy of these energy levels can be determined using the Pauli exclusion principle.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Imaging an electron (s=1/2) confined in a one-dimensional rigid box/ What
are the degeneracies of its energy levels? Make a sketch of the lowest few levels,
showing their occupancy for the lowest state of six electrons confined in the same box.
(Ignore the Coulumb repulsion among the electrons).

Homework Equations

One-D particle in a box energies

E= [itex]\frac{pi*2*hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/itex]*n^2

m is the mass
L is the box's length

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my biggest question is, do the l and [itex]m_{l}[/itex] exist for a particle in a box. In atoms the electrons are "orbiting" and have these numbers associated with their angular momentum, but not in a box.

I know spin in intrinsic and have accounted for it. I know the particle's energy depends only on n, and so all sub-levels associated with one n value are at the same energy and thus degenerate.

My original solution has a table listing all possible n, l, m_l, and spin, but I now believe this is wrong. I think it should now perhaps include just n and spin. The exclusion principle will guide how I draw the electrons that are allowed to exist in the energies.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post! You are correct in your understanding that in a one-dimensional rigid box, the energy levels only depend on the principle quantum number (n) and the spin of the particle. This is because in a one-dimensional system, there is no angular momentum (l) or magnetic quantum number (m_l) associated with the particle's motion.

To answer your question about the degeneracy of the energy levels, we can use the energy equation you provided. Since the energy levels only depend on n and spin, we can see that for each n value, there are two possible spin states: spin up and spin down. This means that each energy level is two-fold degenerate.

In the case of six electrons in the same box, we can use the Pauli exclusion principle to determine the occupancy of the lowest energy levels. The first two electrons will occupy the lowest energy level (n=1) with opposite spin states. The next two electrons will occupy the second energy level (n=2) with opposite spin states, and so on. This results in a total of six electrons occupying the lowest three energy levels, with two electrons in each energy level.

I have attached a sketch of the energy levels and their occupancy for six electrons in a one-dimensional rigid box. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Electron in a 1-D box. Quantum Numbers

1. What is an electron in a 1-D box?

An electron in a 1-D box is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to understand the energy levels of an electron confined to a one-dimensional space. It assumes that the electron is confined to a box with impenetrable walls and cannot escape.

2. What are quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are a set of four numbers that describe the state of an electron in an atom. These numbers include the principal quantum number, the azimuthal quantum number, the magnetic quantum number, and the spin quantum number.

3. How are quantum numbers related to an electron in a 1-D box?

The quantum numbers for an electron in a 1-D box are related to the energy levels of the electron. The principal quantum number determines the energy level, the azimuthal quantum number determines the shape of the wave function, the magnetic quantum number determines the orientation of the wave function, and the spin quantum number determines the spin state of the electron.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in an electron in a 1-D box?

The energy levels in an electron in a 1-D box represent the possible states that the electron can occupy within the box. The lowest energy level is the ground state, and as the energy levels increase, the electron's energy and probability of being in different positions within the box also increase.

5. How does the size of the box affect the energy levels of an electron in a 1-D box?

The size of the box directly affects the energy levels of an electron in a 1-D box. As the size of the box increases, the energy levels become closer together, and the energy spacing between levels decreases. This is because the electron has more space to move around, and thus, more possible energy states are available.