Electron in an oscillating electric field

In summary, the motion of a free electron with charge -e, subject to an oscillating electric field along the x-axis, can be described by the equation of motion F = m(dv/dt) = -eEcos(ωt+θ). By integrating this equation, we can determine the velocity and position of the electron at any given time. The resulting equations show that the first term represents the initial phase of the electric field, the second term accounts for the constant movement of the electron along the x-axis, and the third term is due to the oscillation of the electric field. In this particular case, when the initial phase is θ = π/2, the maximum velocity occurs at t = T/2, rather
jbrussell93

Homework Statement

Describe the motion of a free electron with charge -e when subject to an oscillating electric field along the x-axis: $$E_x = E_o \cos(\omega t + \theta)$$

Homework Equations

Force acting on the electron: $$F=-eE_x=-eE_o \cos(\omega t+ \theta)$$

(*) Equation of motion: $$F = m \frac{dv}{dt} = -eE_o \cos(\omega t+ \theta)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Multiply (*) by ##dt## and integrate taking ##t_0=0##.
$$v = \frac{dx}{dt} = v_o + \frac{e E_o \sin(\theta)}{m \omega} - \frac{e E_o}{m \omega}\sin(\omega t +\theta)$$

Multiply by ##dt## again and integrate. Taking ##v_0=0## and ##x_0=0##
$$x = -\frac{e E_o \cos(\theta)}{m \omega^2} + \frac{e E_o \sin(\theta)}{m \omega} t + \frac{e E_o}{m \omega^2}\cos(\omega t +\theta)$$So I'm left with three terms in the final equation, and I'm not quite sure how to explain them all. Partly, I'm not sure that I'm imagining the electric field correctly.

(1) The first term is a constant which appears to account for the initial phase of the electric field at ##t=0## therefore making sure ##x=0##.

(2) The second term is linear in ##t## but I can't come up with a good explanation why. I assume that it accounts for the constant movement of the electron along the x axis, maybe due to the initial momentum imparted on the electron by the electric field (sort of an initial "drift"). Always positive or negative depending on the initial phase, θ.

(3) The third term seems to be due to the oscillation of the electric field. It is of opposite sign of the electric field itself because of the negative charge on the electron.

Does this sound correct? Can anyone help me understand the second term?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your interpretations of the terms are good.

To get some insight into the second term, you can take the special case of ##\theta = \pi/2##. Think about how the position and velocity of the particle change during the first half cycle of the driving force and then how they change during the second half cycle. You might want to draw a rough sketch showing the particle's location on the x-axis at t = 0, T/8, 2T/8, 3T/8,...2T (where T is the period of the driving force) and include vectors drawn roughly to scale showing force and velocity at those instants. Does the particle ever have a negative velocity during the full cycle? What is the velocity after one cycle? Think about how the inertia of the particle plays a role in what's happening.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
I think your interpretations of the terms are good.

To get some insight into the second term, you can take the special case of ##\theta = \pi/2##. Think about how the position and velocity of the particle change during the first half cycle of the driving force and then how they change during the second half cycle. You might want to draw a rough sketch showing the particle's location on the x-axis at t = 0, T/8, 2T/8, 3T/8,...2T (where T is the period of the driving force) and include vectors drawn roughly to scale showing force and velocity at those instants. Does the particle ever have a negative velocity during the full cycle? What is the velocity after one cycle? Think about how the inertia of the particle plays a role in what's happening.

Ahhh yes it makes much more sense now that I've drawn it out. When t=T/4 (for ##\theta=\pi/2##), the velocity is at a maximum. This also corresponds to the maximum value of the third oscillatory term in the position equation; the the first term (which is zero) and second term are not effected. The velocity will never be negative so there has to be a term in the position equation that accounts for this continual +x movement, and that is the second, linear term.

I appreciate your help!

jbrussell93 said:
When t=T/4 (for ##\theta=\pi/2##), the velocity is at a maximum. This also corresponds to the maximum value of the third oscillatory term in the position equation;

That's not quite correct. The maximum velocity does not occur at T/4.

The velocity will never be negative so there has to be a term in the position equation that accounts for this continual +x movement, and that is the second, linear term.

Yes.

TSny said:
That's not quite correct. The maximum velocity does not occur at T/4.

Are you sure? Hm... when t=T/4, $$\omega t=\frac{2 \pi}{T} \frac{T}{4}= \frac{\pi}{2}$$

Therefore $$\sin(\omega t + \frac{\pi}{2})=\sin(\pi)=0$$

$$v = \frac{e E_o }{m \omega} - \frac{e E_o}{m \omega}\sin(\omega t +\frac{\pi}{2}) = \frac{e E_o }{m \omega}$$

and ##v## is at a maximum value, right?

What am I missing?

Try evaluating v at ##t = T/2##.

Is the force positive or negative for ##T/4< t < T/2##? What does that tell you about what the velocity is going to do in that interval of time?

Would you expect the velocity to have maximum value where the force is maximum?

TSny said:
Try evaluating v at ##t = T/2##.

Oh yes, I appologize :redface:
Of course the change in signs would make it positive so the max is $$\frac{2eE_0}{m\omega}$$

TSny said:
Is the force positive or negative for ##T/4< t < T/2##? What does that tell you about what the velocity is going to do in that interval of time?

The force would be positive and approaching zero. The velocity will be increasing in the +x direction.

TSny said:
Would you expect the velocity to have maximum value where the force is maximum?

No, because the force will be causing the velocity to increase even when the force is transitioning from max value to 0. Only when it changes signs does the force begin to decrease the velocity.

Yes. That all sounds very good.

Related to Electron in an oscillating electric field

1. What is an electron in an oscillating electric field?

An electron in an oscillating electric field refers to the behavior of an electron when it is subjected to a rapidly changing electric field. This can occur in a variety of settings, such as in a radio wave or in a particle accelerator.

2. How does an electron behave in an oscillating electric field?

An electron in an oscillating electric field will experience a force that causes it to accelerate back and forth. The direction and magnitude of this acceleration will depend on the strength and frequency of the electric field.

3. What is the significance of an electron in an oscillating electric field?

The behavior of an electron in an oscillating electric field has important implications in various fields of science, such as electronics, telecommunications, and particle physics. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. How does an electron in an oscillating electric field affect the energy of the electron?

As an electron accelerates in an oscillating electric field, it gains kinetic energy. This means that the electron will have a higher energy state compared to when it is at rest in a static electric field.

5. What factors can affect the motion of an electron in an oscillating electric field?

The motion of an electron in an oscillating electric field can be affected by the frequency, amplitude, and direction of the electric field, as well as the mass and charge of the electron itself.

Back