Electron in equilibrium between two plates

In summary, an electron is placed between two charged parallel plates, where the positive plate is below and the negative plate is above the electron. The electron is in equilibrium between the electric force (pointing upwards) and the gravitational force (pointing downwards). The value of the electric field between the plates is σ/ε0, where σ is the charge density on the plates. The location of the electron in the setup is irrelevant, as long as the two forces are equal and opposite.
britt
1. An electron is placed between two charged parallel plates. The electron is in equilibrium between the electric force and the gravitational force.
a) Make a drawing of the experimental setup. Label the direction of the gravitational field, the placement of the plates, and indicate which plate is positively or negatively charged.
b) What is the value of the electric field? (Necessary constants can be found in the book)

How do I know where the electron is in equilibrium between the forces??:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it mean that there is electrostatic equilibrium?

Where the electron is in equilibrium is irrelevant to the question, you can figure it out, but you don't need to. First off draw a free body diagram, and equilibrium in force question almost always means the same thing.

Likes 1 person
- - - - - - -

o

That didn't show up quite right i had the electron in the dead center

In the set up the plates are like = i.e one on top of the other ,not || i.e placed side by side .

And,no the electron is not in electrostatic equilibrium .It cannot be .Positive plate attracts it,whereas the negative plate repels it .There is a net electrostatic force on the electron .But this force is balanced by the gravitational pull ,hence causing an overall equilibrium .

Likes 1 person
i had them set up horizontal. Is the electron just in the middle of the plates?

It can be anywhere .It doesn't matter .You can place it where ever you like .What matters is that the two forces are equal and opposite .

The gravitational field would be going down correct?

or does that just cancel out?

Yes..The electrostatic force will be upwards whereas gravitational pull downwards.

Likes 1 person
Is the electric field value just 0 then? or do i add the electrons charge to 0

No...The electric field between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor is σ/ε0 where σ is the charge density on the plates .

Likes 1 person
E= σ/2ε0

britt said:
E= σ/2ε0

No...

E= σ/2ε0 is due to only one plate .The net electric field is σ/ε0 .

Likes 1 person
Check the sketch in post #4. If the negative plate is on top and the positive plate below the electron, where does the electric field on an electron point to? Is that right?

FAQ: Electron in equilibrium between two plates

1. What is an electron in equilibrium between two plates?

An electron in equilibrium between two plates refers to the state of an electron when the attractive force of one plate is equal to the repulsive force of the other plate, resulting in the electron being at rest.

2. How is equilibrium achieved between two plates?

Equilibrium between two plates is achieved when the electric potential difference between the two plates is equal to the kinetic energy of the electron, causing it to come to a stop.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of an electron between two plates?

The equilibrium of an electron between two plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the charge of the plates, and the electric potential difference between them.

4. What is the significance of an electron in equilibrium between two plates?

An electron in equilibrium between two plates is significant because it demonstrates the balance between attractive and repulsive forces in an electrical field and can be used to measure the electric potential difference between the plates.

5. How is the equilibrium of an electron between two plates used in scientific experiments?

The equilibrium of an electron between two plates is commonly used in experiments to measure the electric potential difference between the plates, determine the charge on the plates, and study the behavior of electric fields.

Back