Electron Neutrino Detected, Finally!

Physics news on Phys.org
the electron neutrino was discovered experimentally in 1956.

Likes Vanadium 50
Can you kindly elaborate on why the electron neutrino was never detected before in a particle accelerator. Was it because of lower energy levels than can be detected with neutrinos captured in cosmic ray detectors?

IH

Orodruin said:
the electron neutrino was discovered experimentally in 1956.
It was indirectly shown to exist -- within the framework of accepted theory -- by the detection of certain gamma rays.

Islam Hassan said:
Can you kindly elaborate on why the electron neutrino was never detected before in a particle accelerator. Was it because of lower energy levels than can be detected with neutrinos captured in cosmic ray detectors?

IH
Particle collider. Neutrino cross sections have been studied in several previous accelerator experiments.

Then I don't understand the novelty of this discovery. What exactly is new with this announcement? Maybe the fact that a specific energy range is quoted as indicated by this excerpt from the "Short and Simple" article:

“These are the first measurements of neutrino interaction cross sections in those energy ranges,”

If so, then the thread title is somewhat misleading...

IH

Last edited:
Hornbein said:
It was indirectly shown to exist -- within the framework of accepted theory -- by the detection of certain gamma rays.
If you want to hardline it like that, nobody has ever seen a neutrino. Only the indirect effects of neutrinos. And nobody ever will. Or a photon for that matter.

Islam Hassan said:
Then I don't understand the novelty of this discovery. What exactly is new with this announcement? Maybe the fact that a specific energy range is quoted as indicated by this excerpt from the "Short and Simple" article:

“These are the first measurements of neutrino interaction cross sections in those energy ranges,”

If so, then the thread title is somewhat misleading...

IH
As always, things get blown out of proportion when media picks up new discoveries. They tend to omit qualifiers such as “in a particle collider”. Then the whispering game is on. Best thing to do: Go to the original source.

The experimental result is certainly new and interesting, but it is not the first time an electron neutrino has been detected. So yes, the title is misleading.

Likes Motore, Nik_2213 and Hornbein
The article in the link specifies it's the first measurement of the cross section in a specified energy range.

Likes Nik_2213
Mordred said:
The article in the link specifies it's the first measurement of the cross section in a specified energy range.
Which of the links? The second link is the original source. The first is not and is generally quite misleading.

Mordred said:
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.133.021802

Last sentence of the abstract

"These are the first measurements of neutrino interaction cross sections in those energy ranges."
Yes, exactly as I said. That is the original source. Nobody claimed they got it wrong … the issue is the other link with the highly exaggerated claims …

Agreed I rarely bother reading the pop media links how they describe a paper is rarely accurate. I usually skip those and go directly to the source paper.