Electron Tunneling: Battery Effects on Wavefunction

In summary, a battery can affect the electron's wavefunction by creating a net current and causing the wavefunctions of the right and left electrons to become asymmetric instead of symmetric. The wavefunction of a right side electron would be different from that of a left side electron when the battery is connected.
slugbunny

Homework Statement

I don't understand how a battery will affect the electron's wavefunction.

Homework Equations

The image I've attached is something like my problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know without a battery, the wavefunctions of an electron from the right side and left side are mirror images (my professor says, 'symmetric').

With a battery, there will a net current because of the added potential. Since there is a net current, the wavefunctions of the right and left electrons are different ('asymmetric').

What would a right side electron's wavefunction look like? (The attached image is the wavefunction of a left electron)

Attachments

• tunneling.jpg
    tunneling.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Electron Tunneling: Battery Effects on Wavefunction

1. What is electron tunneling?

Electron tunneling is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which electrons are able to pass through potential barriers that would normally be impenetrable according to classical physics.

2. How does electron tunneling affect batteries?

In batteries, electron tunneling plays a crucial role in the transfer of electrons between the electrodes and the electrolyte. This process allows for the flow of current and the generation of electrical energy.

3. Can electron tunneling impact the wavefunction of a battery?

Yes, electron tunneling can affect the wavefunction of a battery by altering the energy levels and electron distribution within the battery's materials. This can impact the battery's performance and efficiency.

4. Are there any negative effects of electron tunneling on batteries?

While electron tunneling is necessary for the functioning of batteries, it can also lead to the degradation of battery materials over time. This can result in reduced battery life and capacity.

5. How can scientists utilize electron tunneling in battery research?

Scientists can use electron tunneling to study the properties of battery materials and to develop more efficient and durable batteries. By understanding and controlling electron tunneling, researchers can improve battery performance and develop new technologies for energy storage.