Electronic Analog Computation for Sixth Form Students: A Project Guide

In summary, Alex is a sixth form student studying physics and is planning on doing a project on electronic analog computation. He is looking for advice on where to start learning about this topic and is asking for opinions on resources he could use.
alex_da_gr8
Hello,
I am a sixth form student studying physics and I am planning on doing a project on electronic analog computation and I am stuck as to where I should begin to learn how such a system solves problems (without delving too much into too many details). I have limited knowledge on electronics but I would like to build practical example of a circuit that performs a computational/simulation task (eg: Solving a First Order Differential Equation). If this is an attainable goal, is it possible to do so using free computer software or inexpensive parts.
Thanks,
Alex

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome

You cannot hope to do analog computing without some knowledge of electronics.
Having said that, it should be accessible to a student armed with sixth form knowledge of resistors, capacitors, amplifiers and circuit theorems.

In analog computing the variable of interest is represented as a (varying) voltage. You obtain answers by taking readings or measurements of this voltage after it has been processed by the 'computer'.

The simplest form of analog computers can perform the basic 4 operations of arithmetic -addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. This can be achieved by suitable arrangements of resistors ( including variable ones) alone.

I suggest you start with this.

Once you introduce capacitors you gain the ability to differentiate and integrate. If you have not yet covered this in your studies then a bit of forward reading is in order.

Calculus (Integrating) with capacitor/resistor networks is pretty unfriendly and limited. this can be overcome by including the capacitor in the feedback loop of an operational amplifier.

Some more forward reading is in order, but there's tons about it

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sour...p+amp+integrator&gs_rfai=&fp=95736b0223d5dc7e

Another way of saying 'solve a differential equation' is to say 'integrate a differential equation'

In maths the output is a function from which we can calculate a table of values.

In analog computing we input voltages representing the differentials to an integrator, and measure a table of outputs to obtain a table of values.

Hope this helps and encourages. It should be a good project.

Keep us informed about how you are getting on and ask away any further questions.

Philbrick published a book on the subject in the 60s. I haven't seen anything that comes close to it since in terms of coverage and clarity. Some references to performance specs are outdated of course, but the principles and circuits are explained well.

Its been republished by Analog Devices online:

http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/philbrick/computing_amplifiers.html

PS what is sixth form?

Related to Electronic Analog Computation for Sixth Form Students: A Project Guide

1. What is electronic analog computation?

Electronic analog computation is a method of solving mathematical problems using electronic devices that simulate physical systems. It involves using electrical circuits to represent mathematical equations and performing calculations through the manipulation of voltages and currents.

2. How is electronic analog computation different from digital computation?

Electronic analog computation uses continuous variables, such as voltage and current, to represent and solve mathematical equations, whereas digital computation uses discrete variables, such as binary digits, to represent and solve problems. This means that electronic analog computation is better suited for solving problems involving continuous systems, whereas digital computation is better for discrete problems.

3. What are some examples of electronic analog computers?

Some examples of electronic analog computers include slide rules, mechanical differential analyzers, and electronic differential analyzers. Modern examples include electronic circuit simulators and analog computing software.

4. How can electronic analog computation benefit sixth form students?

Electronic analog computation can benefit sixth form students by providing a hands-on experience with mathematical concepts, allowing them to better understand and visualize abstract concepts. It can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide a deeper understanding of the principles of electronic circuits.

5. What skills are needed to successfully complete a project on electronic analog computation?

To successfully complete a project on electronic analog computation, students should have a basic understanding of mathematics, electronics, and circuit theory. They should also have good problem-solving skills and be able to think critically and creatively. Basic programming skills may also be helpful, depending on the specific project.