Electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp

• Thread starter Quantum_mind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, the conversation revolves around a project involving the measurement of phase shift on a single phase modulated signal. The main goal is to detect zero or trigger crossings in order to estimate the phase. The speaker is looking for an electronic card with a sampling rate of more than 40 MHz and the ability to provide a list of timestamps for the crossings. They have found a potential card but it only has a max sampling rate of 40 MHz, which may be a problem. There is also a discussion about the need for a circuit to convert a sine wave into a digital representation of the zero crossings.
Quantum_mind
Hello everyone,

I work on a project of measurement of phase shift on a single phase modulated signal of which I must detect the zero or trigger crossing in order to be able to estimate the phase by first calculating the difference of the times between rising or falling edges then calculate the Report of these differences.
I would need an electronic card capable of sampling a signal of more than 40 MHz and which would also give me a list of the timestamps of the trigger or zero crossings in relative or absolute time like in the Attached file If you have ideas or proposals of electronics cards do not hesitate.

Thank u in advance.

Attachments

• Timestamp_card.PNG
    Timestamp_card.PNG
    6.1 KB · Views: 423
Engineering news on Phys.org
What research have you done? What have you found out so far?

Hi phinds,

I found this electronic card:

https://www.dspace.com/shared/data/pdf/2017/dSPACE_DS5001_Catalog2017_E.pdf

what do you think about it?

You have stated that the signal you want to sample is more than 40MHZ. This card has a max sampling rate of 40MHZ. Do you see the problem with that?

Likes berkeman
Quantum_mind said:
I work on a project of measurement of phase shift on a single phase modulated signal of which I must detect the zero or trigger crossing in order to be able to estimate the phase
Do you already have that digital signal? Or do you need a circuit to first convert a sine wave into that digital representation of the zero crossings?

If you already have that digital signal, then you just need a fast counter circuit. As @phinds points out, that counter circuit will need to be counting fast enough to give you the desired resolution on the movement of those edges.

Related to Electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp

1. What is an electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp?

An electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp is a device used in scientific experiments to record the exact time when a trigger event occurs. This is important for accurate data collection and analysis.

2. How does an electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp work?

The electronic card is connected to a trigger sensor, such as a laser or pressure pad, and is programmed to record the exact time when the sensor is triggered. It then stores this data in a digital format for later analysis.

3. What are the advantages of using an electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp?

One advantage is that it eliminates the need for manual recording of trigger events, which can be prone to human error. It also allows for precise and consistent timing, which is crucial in scientific experiments.

4. Can an electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp be used in different types of experiments?

Yes, the electronic card can be used in a variety of experiments where accurate timing of trigger events is necessary, such as in physics, biology, and psychology experiments.

5. How do I choose the right electronic card for trigger crossing timestamp for my experiment?

It is important to consider the accuracy and resolution of the card, as well as the type of trigger sensor it is compatible with. It is also helpful to read reviews and consult with other scientists who have used similar cards before making a decision.