Electronic circuit/inductor problems

• Thread starter Phystudent91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary: The reactance of the inductor at 100MHz is about 1MΩ, so the voltage across the inductor would be about 1V.
Phystudent91
I'm in the opening stages of a project, part of which is building an FM Radio transmitter.
I am using the circuit found here (call it site1), which is the original of the circuit found here (site2).

On site2 is a method of making the inductors required (5 turn air coil, 4mm inner diameter with 28AWG enamel coated copper wire). I didn't have 28AWG so attempted to use 24AWG wire.

Then, to find the frequency I was transmitting at, I attempted to find the value of the inductors. Putting the inductor in series with a resistor and an AC signal generator, I could not find, at any frequency/current/voltage, any voltage across the inductor; It essentially seemed to be acting as a normal piece of wire.

I know my measuring equipment is not faulty; I've tested it all. I've used up to 2A (The max I could find on any of the equipment in my University Lab), added turns and even put a very powerful magnet on the inside of the coil to no avail.

Can anyone see a reason for this not to work?
Appreciation in advanced.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this inductor is for operating at around 100Mhz, it will be a very low value of inductance. What frequency are you using for your measurement (and what value of resistor)? From your figures, it seems your inductance will be much less than 0.1μH. You can work out what the reactance of that would be at the frequency you are using for measurement - how does that compare with the series resistance value you are using? What measurement of volts across the L would you expect from this?

You scraped the enamel off of the wire right? I had a problem one time where I hadn't removed the enamel enough and it wasn't making an electrical connection.

But with enamel still on the ends, the wire would be an open circuit - not a low impedance (like a "piece of wire").

I would first suggest double-checking the connections and components in the circuit to ensure everything is properly connected and functioning. It is also important to make sure that the components are within the specified range for the circuit, such as using the correct wire gauge for the inductors. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with experts or other sources to troubleshoot the issue and determine if there are any known problems with the circuit design or components being used. Experimenting with different wire gauges or inductor designs may also be worth considering. Overall, careful analysis and troubleshooting are key in resolving electronic circuit problems.

FAQ: Electronic circuit/inductor problems

1. What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. This magnetic field opposes any changes in the current, resulting in a temporary slowing or blocking of the current flow. This property is known as inductance and is measured in Henrys (H).

2. What are some common problems that can occur with electronic circuits?

Some common problems that can occur with electronic circuits include short circuits, open circuits, and voltage drops. Short circuits occur when two or more points in a circuit with different voltages are connected, causing a large amount of current to flow. Open circuits occur when a break in the circuit prevents any current from flowing. Voltage drops can occur when there is resistance in a circuit, causing the voltage to decrease as it travels through the components.

3. How can inductors cause problems in electronic circuits?

Inductors can cause problems in electronic circuits by introducing unwanted inductance, which can disrupt the normal flow of current and cause unintended voltage drops. They can also cause problems by creating electromagnetic interference (EMI) with other components in the circuit.

4. What are some ways to troubleshoot inductor problems in electronic circuits?

One way to troubleshoot inductor problems is to use a multimeter to measure the inductance and resistance of the inductor. This can help determine if the inductor is functioning properly or if it is damaged. Another way is to check for any loose connections or damaged components in the circuit. Additionally, using a circuit simulator software can help identify potential issues and test different solutions.

5. How can inductor problems be prevented in electronic circuits?

To prevent inductor problems in electronic circuits, it is important to carefully select the right inductor for the circuit's requirements. This includes considering the inductor's inductance, current rating, and frequency range. Proper circuit design and layout can also help minimize any unwanted inductance and EMI. Regular maintenance and testing can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become larger problems.