Electrons held by magnetic field

In summary: The magnetic field at the orbit is increasing and so the radius stays constant. After an infinitesimal period of time, the velocity increases by dv = (e/m)(r/2) dB. The average value is then half of what it is at the orbit.
tan90

Homework Statement

Electrons are held by a magnetic field B in circular orbit in a vacuum chamber. The electrons are acclerated by increasing the magnetic flux linking the orbit. Prove that the average magnetic field over the plane of the orbit must be twice the magnetic field at the orbit if the orbit is to remain fixed as the electron's energy is increased.

Homework Equations

F_centripetal = mv2/r
F_magnetic = qvBe

The Attempt at a Solution

F_centripetal = F_magnetic
mv2/r = qvB
1/2 (mv2) = qvBr
K.E. = qvBr

I don't know if the approach is right, I am doing self study for this chapter. I would appreciate some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
oh i messed up a little bit above,
1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 qvBr
2K.E. = qvBr

I haven't been able to figure this out but I think I have the right idea.

As the magnetic field increases, it induces an electric field which does work on the electron, increasing its velocity. Since the magnetic field at the orbit is increasing, the radius stays constant since

[itex]r = mv/eB[/itex].

Appying Faraday's law, I find that after an infinitesimal period of time, the velocity increases by dv = (e/m)(r/2) dB.

Hmm.

I'm actually getting that B ~ r^2, which implies that the average is half that at the orbit. Are you sure there isn't a mistake in the question?

that looks like a right idea to me...I checked the question, it should be twice not half at the orbit and even if you got B~ r^2, how is it going to be half ;$, i am confused.

Well, if the the magnetic field inside the orbit is less than or equal to the value at the orbit, this implies that the average value is less than or equal to the value at the orbit.

If the average is greater than the value at the orbit, the magnetic field must be decreasing as you move away from the center of the loop.

I'll show you what I've done. According to Faraday's law

[itex]\oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{\ell} = - \frac{d}{dt} \int \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{a}.[/itex]

Integrating around the orbit gives

[itex]2\pi r E = - \frac{d}{dt} 2\pi\int_{0}^r B(r') r' dr' \implies[/itex]
[itex] rEdt = - \int_{0}^r \partial B(r') r' dr'.[/itex]

Assuming that [itex]dB(r) = dB [/itex] then

[itex] rEdt = - dB \frac{r^2}{2} \implies dv = \frac{e}{m}\frac{r}{2}dB[/itex]

but [itex]v = \frac{eBr}{m} \implies dv = \frac{eB}{m}dr[/itex]

so

[itex]\frac{eB}{m}dr = \frac{e}{m}\frac{r}{2} dr \implies 2 \frac{dr}{r} = \frac{dB}{B} \implies[/itex]

[itex]B\propto r^2[/itex].

my question seems to be wrong plus it is logical only if B over the orbit is half the B at the orbit. thanks a bunch.

The question is correct. It's an adaptation of a question out of Griffiths.

First differentiate the expression qvB = mv^2/r to obtain

E = r dB/dt.

The rest you can show using the integral form of Faraday's law around the electron orbit.

Related to Electrons held by magnetic field

1. What is the role of magnetic fields in holding electrons?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in holding electrons in place. They are responsible for the force that keeps electrons orbiting around the nucleus of an atom. Without magnetic fields, electrons would not be able to maintain a stable orbit and would eventually collapse into the nucleus.

2. How do magnetic fields affect the movement of electrons?

Magnetic fields can influence the movement of electrons, causing them to change direction or speed. This is because electrons have a property called spin, which makes them behave like tiny magnets. When a magnetic field is present, it can interact with the spin of the electron and alter its movement.

3. Can electrons be held by magnetic fields in a vacuum?

Yes, magnetic fields can hold electrons in a vacuum just as they do in other environments. This is because the force of a magnetic field does not require a medium to act upon. As long as there is an electron present, a magnetic field can exert its force on it.

4. How are magnetic fields used to control electrons in technology?

Magnetic fields are used in a variety of technologies to control the movement of electrons. One example is in particle accelerators, where strong magnetic fields are used to steer and focus high-speed electrons. Magnetic fields are also used in devices such as hard drives and MRI machines.

5. Can magnetic fields be used to trap individual electrons?

Yes, it is possible to use magnetic fields to trap individual electrons. This is often done in experiments to study the behavior of electrons at the quantum level. By manipulating the strength and direction of the magnetic field, researchers can create traps that confine individual electrons in a small space for observation.