Electrons moving due to a field

In summary, according to the free electron model at 0 K, electrons in a solid are able to respond to a field and transition between discrete momentum states. These states are closely spaced in energy, and the electron is assumed to be a particle which is accelerating towards one end of the crystal due to the field. However, the states which the electron occupies in k-space say nothing about its position in the crystal, only relating its momentum (wave) to its energy.
johng23
I am trying to understand what happens to the electrons in a solid when I apply a field. If I consider the free electron model at 0 K, I have a Fermi sphere and only those electrons at the Fermi energy have empty states which they can access. Then it is these electrons that are able to respond to the field and transition between discrete momentum states, closely spaced in energy, as they accelerate. Stop me if any of this sounds wrong.

So that's fine. But of course in my semi-classical view, I am picturing an electron as a particle which is accelerating towards one end of the crystal due to the field. I'm having trouble reconciling this real space picture with the k-space picture of Fermi surfaces and momentum states. The states that the electron occupies in k-space say nothing about the particle's position in the crystal, they only relate its momentum (as a wave) to its energy. In fact, as my professor said in passing, there is no position information because all the electrons already sample the entire crystal. I take this to mean that the state of the electron gives some probability distribution over the whole crystal, with an associated momentum and energy. But then, what does it mean for the electron to move in response to the field? Is it true that the states which I am assigning it to in k-space don't allow for a localized position in the crystal? In that case, I would assume that I need to construct new states for this system of crystal + field, which allow for an asymmetric probability distribution of the electrons. But it can't be the case that the states of all the particles completely change simply due to a small field.

You'll have to bear with me. I'm trying to interpret this material using my limited knowledge of quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about it more, and I guess it's not such a hard question. Of course the states of the particle completely change; that's what you do in perturbation theory, you calculate the change in the wavefunctions. Even if the field is just a perturbation you still fundamentally change the states...

Before even looking at the QM model of charge transport, have you even look at the Boltzmann transport equation?

Zz.

Nope, I'll check it out.

Related to Electrons moving due to a field

1. How do electrons move due to a field?

Electrons move due to a field because they are negatively charged particles that are affected by the electric field created by other charged particles or objects. The electric field exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to move in a certain direction.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by any object that has a net electric charge and can be represented by lines of force.

3. What types of fields can cause electrons to move?

Electrons can be moved by both electric and magnetic fields. Electric fields are created by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges or changing electric fields.

4. How does the strength of a field affect the movement of electrons?

The strength of a field directly affects the force exerted on the electrons, and thus, their movement. The stronger the field, the greater the force on the electrons and the faster they will move.

5. What is the relationship between the direction of the field and the direction of electron movement?

The direction of electron movement is determined by the direction of the field. Electrons will move in the direction of the electric field, which is from positive to negative, and perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Back