Electrostatic Energy of Sphere in Shell

In summary, the electrostatic energy of a uniformly charged solid sphere surrounded by a uniformly charged thin spherical shell can be computed in two ways: using the electric field and electric potential. However, there may be some errors in the setup for the volume integral, which should be corrected to get the correct result.
Dionysus~

Homework Statement

Compute, in the following two ways, the electrostatic energy [itex]W[/itex] of the uniformly charged solid sphere of radius [itex]a[/itex] (charge density [itex]\rho[/itex]) that is surrounded concentrically by a uniformly charged thin
spherical shell of radius [itex]b[/itex] (surface charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex]), where the charge densities satisfy [itex]\frac {4\pi a^3}{3}\rho + 4\pi^2 \sigma = 0[/itex] That is, the sum of all the charge is zero.
(a) Compute [itex]W=\int \frac {\epsilon_0 E^2}{2}d\tau[/itex].
(b) Compute [itex]W=\int \frac {\rho V}{2}d\tau[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]V = -\int E \cdot dl[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) the electric field between the shell and the sphere is [itex]E = \frac {a^3 \rho}{3\epsilon_0 r^2}[/itex]. Plug it into the equation and integrate using spherical coordinates. I got [itex]W_1 = \frac {2\pi a^5 \rho^2}{9\epsilon_0}(1 - \frac {a}{b})[/itex]. Then the electric field inside the sphere is [itex]E=\frac {r\rho}{3\epsilon_0}[/itex]. Integrating over the sphere I got [itex]W_2 = \frac {2\pi a^5 \rho^2}{45 \epsilon_0}[/itex].

In part (b) I found [itex]V[/itex] from [itex]E[/itex]. Integrating over the volume between the shell and sphere I got [itex]W_1 = \frac {2\pi a^3 \rho^2}{18\epsilon_0} b^2 - \frac {2\pi a^5 \rho^2}{6\epsilon_0} + \frac {2\pi a^5 \rho^2}{9\epsilon_0}(\frac {a}{b})[/itex]. Then integrating over the sphere I got [itex]W_2 = \frac {2\pi a^5 \rho^2}{45 \epsilon_0}[/itex].

It seems that I went wrong finding the volume integral using [itex]\int \frac {\rho V}{2}d\tau[/itex]. My setup was
[itex]W_1 = \frac {1}{2} \frac {a^3 \rho^2}{3 \epsilon_0}\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_0 ^\pi \int_a ^b \left (\frac {1}{r} - \frac {1}{b} \right ) (r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi) [/itex].
Can anyone spot my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

It looks like you may have made a mistake in your setup for the volume integral. The correct setup should be:

W_1 = \frac{1}{2} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \int_a^b \frac{\rho}{2} \left(\frac{1}{r^2} - \frac{1}{b^2}\right) r^2 \sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi

This is because the volume integral for electrostatic energy is given by W = \frac{1}{2} \int \rho \phi d\tau, where \phi is the electric potential. In your setup, you have multiplied by \rho again, which is unnecessary. Also, the limits of integration for r should be from a to b, as the volume between the sphere and shell extends from the inner radius a to the outer radius b.

I hope this helps clear up your confusion! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Electrostatic Energy of Sphere in Shell

1. What is electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell?

The electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell refers to the amount of potential energy that is stored in the electric field between a charged sphere and a conducting shell surrounding it.

2. How is the electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell calculated?

The electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell can be calculated using the equation U = (Q1Q2)/4πε0d, where Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the sphere and shell respectively, d is the distance between them, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What factors affect the electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell?

The electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the sphere and shell, the distance between them, and the permittivity of the medium between them. It is also influenced by the shape and size of the sphere and shell.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell?

Understanding the electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell is important in the design and operation of electronic devices, such as capacitors and conducting shells used in electromagnetic shielding. It also plays a role in the study of electrostatics in fields such as physics and electrical engineering.

5. How does the electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell relate to the concept of electric potential?

The electrostatic energy of a sphere in a shell is directly related to the electric potential between the two objects. The electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge, and it can be calculated using the electrostatic energy equation. In other words, the electrostatic energy is a measure of the electric potential energy stored in the electric field between the sphere and shell.

Back