Electrostatic potential at a point outside a sphere

In summary, a conducting spherical shell with a radius of 11.0 cm is charged to a potential of 5.00*10^4 V. To find the electrostatic potential at a point 5.0 cm outside the surface of the sphere, the equation V=(1/[4*pi*(epsilon naught)])*(Q/r) can be used. However, in this case, the charge Q can be calculated using the second equation V=(1/[4*pi*(epsilon naught)])*(3Q/2R) and then plugged into the first equation to determine the electrostatic potential.
adam199
A conducting spherical shell of radius 11.0 cm is charged to a potential of 5.00*10^4 V. What is the value of the electrostatic potential 5.0 cm outside the surface of the sphere?

V=(1/[4*pi*(epsilon naught)])*(Q/r) <-- outside of the shell
V=(1/[4*pi*(epsilon naught)])*(3Q/2R) <-- inside the shell

I tried to figure out Q knowing the electrostatic potential and radius of the shell by plugging those numbers into the second equation. I then took the calculated charge and plugged it into the first equation for a point outside of the shell to determine V, but my answer is wrong. I'm not sure what I need to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the solution.

FAQ: Electrostatic potential at a point outside a sphere

1. What is the electrostatic potential at a point outside a sphere?

The electrostatic potential at a point outside a sphere is the measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge that a test charge would experience at that point due to the presence of the sphere.

2. How is the electrostatic potential calculated at a point outside a sphere?

The electrostatic potential at a point outside a sphere can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point.

3. Does the size of the sphere affect the electrostatic potential at a point outside the sphere?

Yes, the size of the sphere does affect the electrostatic potential at a point outside the sphere. As the size of the sphere increases, the potential at a point outside the sphere decreases, since the charge is spread over a larger surface area.

4. How does the charge of the sphere affect the electrostatic potential at a point outside the sphere?

The charge of the sphere has a direct effect on the electrostatic potential at a point outside the sphere. As the charge of the sphere increases, the potential at a point outside the sphere also increases, since there is a greater amount of potential energy per unit charge.

5. Is the electrostatic potential at a point outside a sphere affected by the presence of other charges or objects?

Yes, the electrostatic potential at a point outside a sphere can be affected by the presence of other charges or objects. The potential at a point outside the sphere will be influenced by the superposition of the potentials from all the charges and objects in the vicinity.