Electrostatic Potential Energy of an ion

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the first three contributions to the electrostatic potential energy of an ion in the CsCl lattice using the formula U_{c}\,=\,-\alpha\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}. The speaker mentions that the lattice is bcc and gives the value of \alpha as 1.7627, but is unsure about the final answer given in the book. They also mention an example for an fcc lattice (NaCl) and the corresponding converging term. They are looking for some guidance on how to derive the final answer.
mateomy
Working from Krane's Modern Physics 11.5

Calculate the first 3 contributions to the electrostatic potential energy of an ion in the CsCl lattice.

I believe the formula I'm supposed to use is
[tex]
U_{c}\,=\,-\alpha\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}
[/tex]

Just from looking in the chapter I can see this is a bcc type lattice with an [itex]\alpha[/itex] of 1.7627, but I'm not sure how they're getting the answer in the back of the book which is;
[tex]
U_{c}\,=\,-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}\left(8-\frac{6}{2/\sqrt{3}} + \frac{24}{\sqrt{11/3}}\right)
[/tex]
There's an example in the book showing the same procedure for an fcc lattice (NaCl) and that converging term is,
[tex]
6-\frac{12}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{8}{\sqrt{3}}-\ldots
[/tex]
but it doesn't derive it, so I'm not really sure how they get it.

Just looking for a few pointers, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Figured it out.

Related to Electrostatic Potential Energy of an ion

1. What is electrostatic potential energy?

Electrostatic potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its electric charge. This energy is created by the interaction between two or more charged particles.

2. How is electrostatic potential energy of an ion calculated?

The electrostatic potential energy of an ion can be calculated using the equation U = kQq/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. Can electrostatic potential energy be positive or negative?

Yes, electrostatic potential energy can be either positive or negative. A positive value indicates that the particles have a repulsive force between them, while a negative value indicates an attractive force.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect electrostatic potential energy?

The electrostatic potential energy is inversely proportional to the distance between the charged particles. This means that as the distance increases, the potential energy decreases and vice versa.

5. How does the charge of an ion affect its electrostatic potential energy?

The charge of an ion directly affects its electrostatic potential energy. A higher charge will result in a higher potential energy, while a lower charge will result in a lower potential energy.