Electrostatic Potential in a Box

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a box-shaped rectangular metal cavity with known boundary conditions at certain sides. The goal is to find the potential V(x,y,z) everywhere inside the cavity. The problem can be approached by separating it into two separate problems with different boundary conditions. The Laplace equation is used, and the solution involves finding eigenfunctions and constructing a series solution to fit the boundary conditions.
azupol

Homework Statement

A box shaped rectangular metal cavity of sides a, b and c along the x, y and z axes,
respectively, has one corner at the origin. Of the six sides, all are grounded except the one
at x=a and the one at y=b which are held at potentials of V1 and V2 , respectively. Find the
potential V(x,y,z) everywhere inside the cavity.

There are 6 boundary conditions, I think I've got them all correct:
i.) V(a, y, z)=V1
ii.)V(x, b, z)=V2
iii.)V(x, y, c)=0
iv.)V(x ,y, 0)=0
v.)V(0, y, z)=0
vi.)V(x, 0, z)=0

Homework Equations

## \Delta V = 0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to approach this, we assume the potential can take the form V(x,y,z)= X(x)Y(y)Z(z), twice differentiate with respect to each spatial coordinate and plug it into the Laplace equation. From there we get three ODEs, which are each equal to a constant. This is where I get stuck. I know the choice of these constants, in particular their signs, is dependent on the boundary conditions. I'm stuck at this point, I don't know which sign to choose for each constant such that A+B+C=0, since the form of each separated solution will change based on these constants. Previous problems I've done involved one of the sides of the box going to infinity, so it was easy to choose constants to satisfy V->0 as a coordinate went to infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you work by separating your inhomogeneous problem into two (one where V1=0 and one where V2=0).

The variable separation is mainly efficient for finding eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator with homogeneous boundary conditions. For each of the inhomogeneous problems after the separation, think about which dimensions you have homogeneous boundary conditions in - for these dimensions the possible separation constants will be given by the homogeneity. The possible values of the last constant will then be given by those of the other two. You then have to construct a series solution which you adjust to fit the boundary conditions in the last dimension.

Related to Electrostatic Potential in a Box

1. What is electrostatic potential in a box?

Electrostatic potential in a box is a concept in physics that describes the distribution of electric potential within a confined space, such as a box or a container.

2. How is electrostatic potential in a box calculated?

The electrostatic potential in a box is calculated by solving the Poisson equation, which relates the electric potential to the charge distribution within the box.

3. What is the significance of electrostatic potential in a box?

Electrostatic potential in a box is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields and charges within a confined space, and is used in various applications such as in electronic devices and nanotechnology.

4. How does the shape of the box affect the electrostatic potential?

The shape of the box can have a significant impact on the distribution of electrostatic potential within it. For example, a cylindrical box will have a different potential distribution than a rectangular box, due to differences in charge distribution and boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world examples of electrostatic potential in a box?

Some examples of electrostatic potential in a box include a capacitor, where the two conductive plates act as the boundaries of the box, and a charged particle in a small container, where the walls of the container act as the boundaries of the box.