Electrostatics Problem Solved: Wall Charge and Hanging Ball | Homework Help

• Thread starter snipez90
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving electrostatics, where a charged wall and a suspended plastic ball are in equilibrium. The forces acting on the ball are drawn and labeled on a diagram, and the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the ball's location is calculated. The perpendicular distance from the wall to the center of the ball is also determined. Then, the string holding the ball is cut and the resulting acceleration and path of the ball are discussed. Finally, the conversation touches upon the equations for static equilibrium and the correct calculation of the ball's mass.
snipez90
[SOLVED] Electrostats Problem

Homework Statement

Electrostats

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7097/phsyfrpic1vu6.png
A wall has a negative charge distribution producing a uniform horizontal electric field. A small plastic ball of mass 0.01 kg, carrying a charge of -80.0 uC, is suspended by an uncharged, nonconducting thread 0.30 m long. The thread is attached to the wall and the ball hangs in equilibrium in the electric and gravitational fields. The electric force on the ball has a magnitude of 0.032 N.

a. On the diagram below, draw and label all the forces acting on the ball:
(picture of x and y-axis with ball at center)

b. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field at the ball's location due to the charged wall and indicate its direction relative to the coordinate axes.

c. Determine the perpendicular distance from the wall to the center of the ball

d. The string is now cut
i. calculate the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of the ball relative to the coordinate axes
ii. describe the resulting path of the ball

Homework Equations

1. E = F/q (electric field)
2. F = ma
3. E = V/d (electric field)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Ft (tension) drawn in the second quadrant at an angle similar to the angle the string makes with the wall pointed away from ball, mg along the -y axis pointed away from ball, and Fe (electric) along the +x axis pointed away from ball

b. E = F/q = (.032N)/(80x10^-6C) = 400 N/C, pointing left horizontally towards the wall

c. not sure about this one, I have E = V/d => d = V/E, except I don't know where to begin to find the potential difference, perhaps an easier way...

d. i. Fnet = sqrt[(.032N)^2 + (.98N)^2] = .98 N = ma = (.01kg)a => a = 98 m/s^2, directed in 4th quadrant along Ft (tension)

ii. um southeast and away from the ball?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
snipez90 said:
c. not sure about this one, I have E = V/d => d = V/E, except I don't know where to begin to find the potential difference, perhaps an easier way...
You need to figure out the angle the string makes. To do that, set up the equations for static equilibrium.

d. i. Fnet = sqrt[(.032N)^2 + (.98N)^2] = .98 N = ma = (.01kg)a => a = 98 m/s^2, directed in 4th quadrant along Ft (tension)
Careful. The mass is 0.01 kg. What is mg?

Wow, I totally ignored the equilibrium condition. So just thinking it through theoretically, the angle should be given by arctan(Fe/mg) right? And mg should be .098 :rolleyes:.

snipez90 said:
So just thinking it through theoretically, the angle should be given by arctan(Fe/mg) right?
Right.

Related to Electrostatics Problem Solved: Wall Charge and Hanging Ball | Homework Help

1. How does the wall charge affect the hanging ball in electrostatics?

The wall charge creates an electric field that exerts a force on the hanging ball, causing it to move towards or away from the wall depending on the charge of the ball.

2. What factors influence the magnitude of the force between the wall charge and hanging ball?

The magnitude of the force depends on the magnitude of the charges on the wall and hanging ball, as well as the distance between them. It also depends on the dielectric constant and permittivity of the surrounding medium.

3. How can the direction of the force on the hanging ball be determined?

The direction of the force on the hanging ball can be determined by the direction of the electric field created by the wall charge. The ball will move in the direction of the field, either towards or away from the wall.

4. How does the hanging ball's charge affect the force between the wall and ball?

The hanging ball's charge does not directly affect the force between the wall and ball, but it does determine the direction in which the ball will move. The magnitude of the charge will also affect the magnitude of the force.

5. Can the electrostatics problem of a wall charge and hanging ball be solved using Coulomb's law?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used to calculate the magnitude of the force between the wall charge and hanging ball. However, the problem may require additional calculations or considerations, such as the presence of other charges or the dielectric medium, to fully solve it.