Electrostatics problem using Coulomb's law

In summary, twelve equal charges are arranged in a regular 12-sided polygon, resulting in a net force of zero on a test charge at the center due to the equal and opposite forces exerted by each pair of opposite charges. Removing one of the charges results in a force on the test charge in the direction of the removed charge. When 13 equal charges are arranged in a regular 13-sided polygon, the net force on the test charge at the center is also zero, as the system remains invariant under a rotation of ##\frac{2 \pi n}{13}## and the only way to accommodate this is for the net force to be zero. This can also be deduced by considering the projection of the force onto different directions
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

This problem is taken from 'Introduction to Electrodynamics' by David Griffiths.

(a) Twelve equal charges, ##q##, are situated at the corners of a regular 12-sided polygon (for instance, one on each numeral of a clock face). What is the net force on a test charge Q at the center?

(b) Suppose one of the 12 ##q##'s is removed (the one on "6 o'clock"). What is the force on Q? Explain your reasoning carefully?

(c) Now 13 equal charges, ##q##, are placed at the corners of a regular 13-sided polygon. What is the force on a test charge ##Q## at the center?

(d) If one of the 13 ##q##'s is removed, what is the force on ##Q##? Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

(a) Zero, because each of pair of opposite charges exert forces on ##Q## of equal magnitude in opposite directions.

(b) The force on ##Q## is given by Coulomb's law, and acts in the direction of "6 o'clock."

(c) This is where I've got stuck. I picture one charge ##q## at the 12 o'clock position, and the others spread symmetrically throughout the rim of the clock face. Then, I have a gut feeling that the net force is due only to the charge at the 12 o'clock position. Using the above picture of the position of the charges, the horizontal components of the forces cancel by symmetry. However, I'm unable to account for the cancellation of the vertical forces due to the other 12 charges.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try applying symmetry arguments?

Yes. Using symmetry arguments, I was able to cancel out the horizontal components of the forces.

But, how I can cancel out the vertical components of the forces using symmetry arguments eludes me. :frown:

What happens if you turn the whole contraption by an angle 2pi/13?

The system's behaviour is invariant under a rotation of ##\frac{2 \pi n}{13}## - I get that. :smile:

But how that relates to the problem at hand is a bit perplexing. :sorry:

So if you assume that the resulting force points in any direction, what would happen to it during the 2pi/13 rotation?

The configurations of the system under a rotation of ##\frac{2 \pi n}{13}## all have a net force of the same magnitude pointing in the same direction.

How might it be possible to determine the direction of that force and its magnitude?

failexam said:
The configurations of the system under a rotation of ##\frac{2 \pi n}{13}## all have a net force of the same magnitude pointing in the same direction.

How might it be possible to determine the direction of that force and its magnitude?

Exactly, but what happens to any force on the charge if you rotate the charge distribution responsible for the force by any angle?

The direction of the net force will change in general, but its magnitude will remain the same, under an arbitrary rotation.

Yes, so now you have two pieces of information. The direction of the force will change by an angle 2pi/13, but the force will remain the same because the charge configuration is the same. What is the only way of accommodating both these criteria?

I see. It's by having the effects due to 12 charges being equal to zero, and the effect of only one charge contributing to the net force. :nb)

Wait! Actually, the net force is zero. That's because the configuration of charges remains invariant under a rotation of ##\frac{2 \pi n}{13}##, yet the direction of the net force ought to change by an angle of ##\frac{2 \pi n}{13}##. The only way this can happen is for the net force to be zero.

I think this is the correct argument, isn't it?:smile:

failexam said:
I think this is the correct argument, isn't it?:smile:
Correct.

Another way to deduce it is to take your argument that the "horizontal" component is zero. You can make the same argument with any other direction which is rotated by a multiple of 2pi/13. You will then know that the projection onto two linearly independent directions is zero, meaning that the force must be zero.

Wow! That's also an interesting proof! Thanks! :smile:

Related to Electrostatics problem using Coulomb's law

1. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that quantifies the relationship between the force exerted by two point charges and the distance between them. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's law used to solve electrostatics problems?

Coulomb's law can be used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force between two point charges. This law is particularly useful for solving problems involving multiple charges, as it can be used to determine the net force on a charge due to all other surrounding charges.

3. Can Coulomb's law be used for charges that are not point charges?

No, Coulomb's law is only applicable for point charges, which are charges that are concentrated at a single point in space. For extended charges, such as charged objects with a finite size, more complex equations and techniques are needed to calculate the electrostatic force.

4. What are the units of measurement for the variables in Coulomb's law?

The units for the charge variable in Coulomb's law are typically measured in Coulombs (C), while the distance variable is measured in meters (m). The resulting unit for force is Newtons (N), which is a unit of force in the SI system.

5. How does the direction of the force between two charged particles depend on their electric charges?

The direction of the force between two charged particles is always along the line connecting the two particles. The direction of the force depends on the relative signs of the charges - if the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, and if the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.