Elementary questions about error estimation

In summary, error estimation is a process used to determine the accuracy of a measurement or calculation by comparing it to the true or known value. It involves calculating the difference between the estimated value and the true value, and then determining the level of uncertainty or margin of error associated with the estimate. Elementary questions about error estimation may include how to calculate error, what factors affect error, and how to minimize error in measurements or calculations. Understanding error estimation is important in fields such as science, engineering, and statistics to ensure the validity and reliability of data and results.
jonjacson

Homework Statement

We measure the temperature with a thermometer and we get these results:

3.3 +- 0.1 ºC
3.5 +- 0.1 ºC
3.6 +- 0.1 ºC

What is the temperature?

Homework Equations

Average = Sum of values/amount of measurementes

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I calculate the average and I get 3.4666666666 period.

The sensibility of the thermometer is 0.1 ºC so I can't give more than 1 decimal number so I guess the solution is:

3.4 +- 0.1 ºC ( I just rounded the number 3.4666 to the first decimal place)

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:

Homework Statement

3.3 +- 0.1 ºC
3.5 +- 0.1 ºC
3.6 +- 0.1 ºC

What is the temperature?

Homework Equations

The sensibility of the thermometer is 0.1 ºC so I can't give more than 1 decimal number so I guess the solution is:

Is this correct?
The question is a bit awkward because it quotes non-overlapping ranges, implying either that the temperature is changing or that the measurements are not as accurate as claimed!
Leaving that aside, the next question is the error distribution. With thermometer readings, the precision is limited by the scale markings, so presumably the error distribution is uniform over a .2C range. But by something of a fudge, most authorities seem to pretend its Gaussian. (Pet peeve of mine.)
Now, if you have N samples from a Gaussian distribution that has an inherent standard deviation of σ, what is the standard error in your estimate of the mean?

jonjacson said:

Homework Statement

3.3 +- 0.1 ºC
3.5 +- 0.1 ºC
3.6 +- 0.1 ºC

What is the temperature?

Homework Equations

Is this correct?

You should round 3.466... to the nearest 0.1, so up to 3.5, not down to 3.4 as you did; basically, 66 is closer to 100 than to 0. The only time this is troublesome is in a case like 3.45, which is equidistant between 3.4 and 3.5, and in such a case people can (and do) argue about the best way to proceed. There are some published "rules", but they seem a bit arbitrary to me.

haruspex said:
The question is a bit awkward because it quotes non-overlapping ranges, implying either that the temperature is changing or that the measurements are not as accurate as claimed!
Leaving that aside, the next question is the error distribution. With thermometer readings, the precision is limited by the scale markings, so presumably the error distribution is uniform over a .2C range. But by something of a fudge, most authorities seem to pretend its Gaussian. (Pet peeve of mine.)
Now, if you have N samples from a Gaussian distribution that has an inherent standard deviation of σ, what is the standard error in your estimate of the mean?

Well the formula I found in wikipedia is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_error

The standard error of the mean (SEM) is the standard deviation of the sample-mean's estimate of a population mean. (It can also be viewed as the standard deviation of the error in the sample mean with respect to the true mean, since the sample mean is an unbiased estimator.) SEM is usually estimated by the sample estimate of the population standard deviation (sample standard deviation) divided by the square root of the sample size (assuming statistical independence of the values in the sample):

SE = s / √n
where

s is the sample standard deviation (i.e., the sample-based estimate of the standard deviation of the population), and
n is the size (number of observations) of the sample.

Ray Vickson said:
You should round 3.466... to the nearest 0.1, so up to 3.5, not down to 3.4 as you did; basically, 66 is closer to 100 than to 0. The only time this is troublesome is in a case like 3.45, which is equidistant between 3.4 and 3.5, and in such a case people can (and do) argue about the best way to proceed. There are some published "rules", but they seem a bit arbitrary to me.

Yes, you are right.

FAQ: Elementary questions about error estimation

1. What is error estimation in science?

Error estimation in science is the process of determining the accuracy and precision of a measurement or calculation. It involves identifying and quantifying sources of error in order to better understand the reliability of the results.

2. Why is error estimation important in scientific research?

Error estimation is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to evaluate the quality of their data and results. It helps to identify potential flaws or limitations in the methods used, and can improve the overall validity and credibility of the findings.

3. What are the different types of errors in scientific measurements?

The different types of errors in scientific measurements include systematic errors, random errors, and human errors. Systematic errors are consistent and can be caused by equipment or procedural flaws. Random errors are unpredictable and can result from natural variability or limitations in measurement tools. Human errors are caused by mistakes or bias in the data collection process.

4. How is error estimation carried out in scientific experiments?

Error estimation in scientific experiments involves a combination of statistical analysis, careful experimental design, and consideration of potential sources of error. It may also involve multiple trials or replicates to account for variability in the data.

5. How can scientists minimize errors in their research?

Scientists can minimize errors in their research by carefully designing experiments, using precise and accurate measurement tools, and identifying and addressing potential sources of error. It is also important to document and report any potential errors or limitations in the research methods. Additionally, incorporating peer review and replication of studies can help to identify and reduce errors in scientific research.