Elevation of Sun above water surface

In summary, an underwater scuba diver sees the Sun at an apparent angle of 44.5° above the horizontal. To find the actual elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal, we can use the equation n1sin(Θ1) = n2sin(Θ2) with an index of refraction of 1.333 for water. The steps to solve for the angle are as follows: 1. Calculate 1.333*sin(44.5) = 0.9091 2. Take the inverse sine of 0.9091 to get 65.38 3. Subtract 65.38 from 90 to get 24.62 degrees as the actual elevation angle of the
Agarb

Homework Statement

An underwater scuba diver sees the Sun at an apparent angle of 44.5° above the horizontal. What is the actual elevation angle of the Sun above the horizontal? (Use 1.333 for the index of refraction of water.)

Homework Equations

n1sin(Θ1) = n2sin(Θ2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been doing:

1.333*sin(43) = .9091

sin-1(.9091)= 65.38

90-65.38 = 24.62 degrees

Where am I going wrong?? The answer is 12.9 degrees, but every time I try to do it, I get 24.62 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the 43 come from?

I get 18 degrees.

mfb said:
Where does the 43 come from?

I get 18 degrees.

What are the steps you're taking?

agarb said:
what are the steps you're taking?
90-44.5 = ?

Agarb said:
What are the steps you're taking?
The same steps as you, just with the right numbers. See the open question in post 2 and 4.

I don't understand where you see a 43?

Agarb said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been doing:

1.333*sin(43) = .9091

sin-1(.9091)= 65.38

90-65.38 = 24.62 degrees

Where am I going wrong?? The answer is 12.9 degrees, but every time I try to do it, I get 24.62 degrees.
I highlighted it.

Shoot sorry, I copied it over and forgot to change it. It should be 44.5

But I still don't get the correct answer

Agarb said:
Shoot sorry, I copied it over and forgot to change it. It should be 44.5
No, not that either: 44.5° above the horizontal

haruspex said:
No, not that either: 44.5° above the horizontal

What does that mean?? I tried 90-44.5 and 180-44.5 but it doesn't work. Am I going crazy??

Agarb said:
I tried 90-44.5
That should do it. Please post you working.

Related to Elevation of Sun above water surface

1. What is the "Elevation of Sun above water surface"?

The "Elevation of Sun above water surface" refers to the angle at which the sun appears above the horizon when viewed from a specific point on the surface of a body of water.

2. How is the "Elevation of Sun above water surface" measured?

The "Elevation of Sun above water surface" is measured using a device called a sun sensor, which uses the position of the sun in relation to the horizon to determine the angle of elevation.

3. Why is the "Elevation of Sun above water surface" important?

The "Elevation of Sun above water surface" is important because it directly affects the amount of solar radiation that reaches the surface of the water, which can impact the temperature and conditions of the water.

4. How does the "Elevation of Sun above water surface" change throughout the day?

The "Elevation of Sun above water surface" changes throughout the day as the sun moves across the sky. It is highest at solar noon (when the sun is directly overhead) and lowest at sunrise and sunset.

5. What factors can affect the "Elevation of Sun above water surface"?

The "Elevation of Sun above water surface" can be affected by factors such as the time of day, the latitude and longitude of the location, and atmospheric conditions such as clouds and haze.