Eliminate the denominator in this expression

• Thread starter chipotleaway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, to eliminate the denominator on the RHS of the given expression, we can simply multiply both sides by the denominator and then expand and simplify. This results in the desired equation of sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta) = -\frac{v}{c}(sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)+sin(\beta)cos(\alpha)). It is important to note that when multiplying by an expression, we must exclude any possible values that would make the expression equal to zero.
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

Eliminate the denominator on the RHS of the following expression
[tex]sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta) = -\frac{-v(sin(\alpha) cos(\alpha) + sin(\alpha) cos(\beta)}{c-vcos(\alpha)}[/tex]
and from it, derive
[tex]sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta) = -\frac{v}{c}(sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)+sin(\beta)cos(\alpha))[/tex]

Homework Equations

For a bit of context, this is from a multipart derivation of the relativistic reflection law based on the principle of least time. I'm assuming that you don't need to know what the sines and cosines in terms of the lengths of the triangles because the hint says to 'multiply through' (and substituting back in lengths hasn't made it any better), but I've attached the diagram I'm working from anyway.

The Attempt at a Solution

Some things I've tried:
- worked backwards from the RHS expression in the second equation to see if I could find what to multiply by
- multiplied by top and bottom by [itex]c+vcos(\alpha)[/itex]
- tried writing [itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\alpha)[/itex] as the ratios of the lengths in hopes of getting a [itex]sin(\beta)[/itex] and [/itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex] back out of it. This is what I got:

[tex]-\frac{v}{c}(\frac{x(cos(\alpha)+cos(\beta))}{\sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+x^2)}-v(d_o+vt_a)})[/tex]

--

Attachments

• trigproblem.jpg
    trigproblem.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 708
Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

[tex]sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta) = -\frac{-v(sin(\alpha) cos(\alpha) + sin(\alpha) cos(\beta)}{c-vcos(\alpha)}[/tex]
and from it, derive
[tex]sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta) = -\frac{v}{c}(sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)+sin(\beta)cos(\alpha))[/tex]

Homework Equations

For a bit of context, this is from a multipart derivation of the relativistic reflection law based on the principle of least time. I'm assuming that you don't need to know what the sines and cosines in terms of the lengths of the triangles because the hint says to 'multiply through' (and substituting back in lengths hasn't made it any better), but I've attached the diagram I'm working from anyway.

The Attempt at a Solution

Some things I've tried:
- worked backwards from the RHS expression in the second equation to see if I could find what to multiply by
- multiplied by top and bottom by [itex]c+vcos(\alpha)[/itex]
- tried writing [itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex] and [itex]cos(\alpha)[/itex] as the ratios of the lengths in hopes of getting a [itex]sin(\beta)[/itex] and [/itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex] back out of it. This is what I got:

[tex]-\frac{v}{c}(\frac{x(cos(\alpha)+cos(\beta))}{\sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+x^2)}-v(d_o+vt_a)})[/tex]

--

I think I can help you, just tell me, there is missing one bracket on the RHS, could you please tell me where it should be?

chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

and from it, derive

There is a parenthesis missing from the end of the RHS of the first equation.

Just multiply the whole equation with the denominator, expand and simplify.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Ah I got it now, thanks ehild and Electric Red.

Somewhere along the line, I got the idea that to solve an equation we weren't allowed to multiply it by anything other than one or else we change it somehow...though it makes sense now because if we multiply both sides by the same factor then it'll just cancel in the end...

chipotleaway said:
Ah I got it now, thanks ehild and Electric Red.

Somewhere along the line, I got the idea that to solve an equation we weren't allowed to multiply it by anything other than one or else we change it somehow...though it makes sense now because if we multiply both sides by the same factor then it'll just cancel in the end...

When you multiply with an expression you have to exclude the cases when it is zero. So you say: Multiply by c-vcos(α) ≠ 0. Here it is sure as v∠c and cos(α) ≤1.

ehild

FAQ: Eliminate the denominator in this expression

1. How do you eliminate the denominator in an expression?

The most common way to eliminate the denominator in an expression is by multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the same value. This will result in a new expression without a denominator.

2. What is the purpose of eliminating the denominator?

The purpose of eliminating the denominator is to simplify the expression and make it easier to work with. It also allows for easier comparison and manipulation of different expressions.

3. Can any value be used to eliminate the denominator?

Yes, any value can be used to eliminate the denominator as long as it is the same for both the numerator and denominator. However, it is best to choose a value that will result in a simpler expression.

4. Are there any rules to follow when eliminating the denominator?

When eliminating the denominator, it is important to remember to multiply both the numerator and denominator by the same value. Additionally, any variables in the expression should also be multiplied by the same value.

5. What is the benefit of eliminating the denominator in algebraic expressions?

Eliminating the denominator in algebraic expressions allows for easier manipulation and simplification of the expressions. It also allows for easier solving of equations and can help in finding common factors in more complex expressions.