Eliminating the xy-Term: Solving Rotating Axes Problem with θ = 30 degrees

In summary, to eliminate the $xy$-term in an equation, you must rotate the coordinate axes through an angle $\theta$ with $0 \le \theta \le \pi/2$. This can be done by substituting $x=C\cos(\theta)-Y\sin(\theta)$ and $y=X\sin(\theta)+Y\cos(\theta)$ into the equation and solving for the coefficients of the $XY$-term to equal zero. If the equation does not simplify and still has an $xy$-term, it means a mistake has been made and the process should be repeated. Writing out each step carefully can help to avoid mistakes.
orcbum
"Rotate the axes to eliminate the xy-term in the equation. Then write the equation in standard form. (Use xp for x and yp for y' in your answer. Rotate the coordinate axes through an angle θ with 0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2.)"

13x2 + 6√3xy + 7y2 – 32 = 0

I figured out that θ is 30 degrees. After simplifying I still could not eliminate the xy-term: I ended up with:

10x2 - 6xy + 10y2 + 3(sqrt(3))x2 - 3(sqrt(3))y2 -32 = 0

note: the x and y terms above are in prime form (I just don't know how to show that on a forum)

As you can see I still have a negative 6xy. Considering the previous HW questions I've solved eliminated the xy terms easily, I'm at a loss with what to do should I encounter leftover xy terms.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: You know this always happens to me, whenever I just ask a question/post one, I've solved it. I'm sorry, but I've figured it out now. (Calculating an earlier step incorrectly).

However, a question still stands. Provided the equation doesn't solve out neatly and has left over xy terms, is there a way around it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
orcbum said:
However, a question still stands. Provided the equation doesn't solve out neatly and has left over xy terms, is there a way around it?

An appropriate rotation of axes enables us to eliminate the $xy$-term in:

(1) \(\displaystyle ax^2+bxy+cy^2+dx+ey+f=0\)

and obtain an equation of the form:

(2) \(\displaystyle AX^2+CY^2+DX+EY+F=0\)

If (2) defines a real locus of points other than a point, a line, or a pair of intersecting lines, its graph will then be a conic section. The cases: a point, a line, and a pair of intersecting lines are said to be degenerate conics.

Consider:

\(\displaystyle x=C\cos(\theta)-Y\sin(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle y=X\sin(\theta)+Y\cos(\theta)\)

Substituting these equations into (1) and simplifying reveal that the coefficient of the $XY$-term are zero provided that:

\(\displaystyle 2(c-a)\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)+b\left(\cos^2(\theta)-\sin^2(\theta) \right)=0\)

or equivalently:

(3) \(\displaystyle (a-c)\sin(2\theta)=b\cos(2\theta)\)

Notice that if $a=c$ in (1), then $a-c=0$ in (3). The resulting equation, $\cos(2\theta)=0$ implies that a rotation angle of $\theta=\dfrac{\pi}{4}$ will eliminate the $xy$-term in (1).

However, if $a\ne c$, then this elimination can be accomplished by choosing $\theta$ to be an angle for which:

\(\displaystyle \tan(2\theta)=\frac{b}{a-c}\)

orcbum said:
EDIT: You know this always happens to me, whenever I just ask a question/post one, I've solved it. I'm sorry, but I've figured it out now. (Calculating an earlier step incorrectly).

There are some derivations that come out "smoothly." The one in your example here is what I call "fussy": it is easy to make a mistake and can be very hard to find. If you do the job correctly there will not be an xy term. If you have one left over then you have made a mistake somewhere.

The only advice I can give here is to write out every single step. All of them. One step, one term at a time. It's a pain in the pah-tootie but you can find any mistakes easier this way.

-Dan

FAQ: Eliminating the xy-Term: Solving Rotating Axes Problem with θ = 30 degrees

1. What is a rotating axes question?

A rotating axes question is a type of problem in mathematics and physics that involves rotating a coordinate system to simplify calculations. This is often used when dealing with complex shapes or movements, such as in mechanics or astrophysics.

2. How do you approach a rotating axes question?

To approach a rotating axes question, you first need to identify the problem and understand what needs to be solved. Then, you need to choose a suitable coordinate system and rotate it to align with the problem. Finally, you can apply the necessary equations and solve for the desired variables.

3. What are the advantages of using rotating axes in problem-solving?

The main advantage of using rotating axes is that it simplifies the equations and calculations required to solve a problem. By choosing a coordinate system that aligns with the problem, you can eliminate unnecessary variables and make the calculations more manageable.

4. Are there any limitations to using rotating axes?

While rotating axes can be a useful tool, it is not always the most efficient method for problem-solving. In some cases, it may not be possible to choose a suitable coordinate system, or the rotation may introduce additional complexities. It is important to consider all available approaches when solving a problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving rotating axes questions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving rotating axes questions is through practice and understanding the underlying concepts. Familiarize yourself with different coordinate systems and their properties, and try solving a variety of problems using rotating axes. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also be helpful in improving your skills.