EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary

In summary, the conversation is discussing the incidence of an electromagnetic wave at a plane dielectric boundary and the corresponding equations for reflection and transmission coefficients. The question posed is whether the electric field amplitude at the boundary will increase or decrease if the intrinsic impedance of the second medium is greater than the first. The conversation also mentions that both media are lossless, meaning there will be no decay of the wave as it travels through them. The speaker suggests writing an expression for the electric field at the boundary to determine the effect of the intrinsic impedances on the amplitude.
erece
i was studying incidence of EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary and encountered equations
in the attachment . I just want to know if n2 > n1 then electric field amplitude at the boundary increases . So from where does this extra value comes ?
n1 and n2 are intrinsic impedances of 1st and 2nd medium

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 450
Engineering news on Phys.org
erece said:
i was studying incidence of EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary and encountered equations
in the attachment . I just want to know if n2 > n1 then electric field amplitude at the boundary increases . So from where does this extra value comes ?
n1 and n2 are intrinsic impedances of 1st and 2nd medium

I think you've mixed up the wording a little here.

We are talking about an electromagnetic plane wave at a dielectric boundary.

The two equations you have in your figure are the reflection and transmission coefficients for an EM plane wave across two media. (i.e. media 1 having intrinsic impedance η1, media 2 having intrinsic impedance η2)

If they are dielectric media then they are lossless and we will see no decay or the wave as it travels through the mediums. (i.e. the attenuation constants are zero, α1 = 0, α2 = 0)

Why not write an expression for the electric field at the boundary and see if you can justify whether or not the amplitude will increase of decrease based on the values of η1 and η2.

Related to EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary

What is an EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary?

An EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary refers to the behavior of an electromagnetic wave when it encounters a boundary between two different materials, one of which is a dielectric material. This boundary can be a physical interface between two materials or simply a change in the properties of a material, such as a change in its density or composition.

How does an EM wave behave at a plane dielectric boundary?

At a plane dielectric boundary, an EM wave can exhibit several different behaviors, depending on the properties of the materials involved. Some common behaviors include reflection, refraction, and transmission.

What is reflection in the context of an EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary?

Reflection occurs when an EM wave encounters a boundary and some or all of the wave is "bounced" back into the original material. The amount of reflection that occurs depends on the properties of the materials involved, such as their relative permittivity and conductivity.

What is refraction in the context of an EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary?

Refraction is the bending of an EM wave as it passes from one material into another. This bending is caused by a change in the wave's speed, which occurs due to the different properties of the two materials. The angle of refraction depends on the angle of incidence and the relative permittivity of the two materials.

How is the behavior of an EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary calculated?

The behavior of an EM wave at a plane dielectric boundary can be predicted using Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. These equations take into account the properties of the materials involved, such as their relative permittivity and conductivity, and can be solved to determine the behavior of the wave at the boundary.