Embarrassing Mistake in Arithmetic? Check Here for Help!

You are trying to show that the energy equivalent of the length 10-18cm of a large extra dimension is roughly 20TeV. To do so, you used the equations E=mc2=ħc/l and ls=√α, and substituted numbers and converted units. You arrived at a value of 20000 MeV or 2x10^10 eV, which is close to the expected value of 20 TeV (2x10^12 eV).
moriheru
I am actually quite sure I have it right but my book would then be wrong so I have posted my problem here to see if I didn't do a embarassing mistake in arithmetics.

Homework Statement

"Show that the energy equivalent of the length 10-18cm of a large extra dimension is roughly 20TeV"
-Zwiebach 2004

2. Homework Equations

ħ=c=1
ħc≈200MeVx10-15m
ls=√α
mc2=ħc/ l

The Attempt at a Solution

Just some simple reforming first:

E=mc2=ħc/l

then substituting numbers and converting units:

10-18cm=10-16m

E=200MeVx10-15 m / 10-16 m

= 200 MeVx10x10

=20000 MeV=2x1010 eV

,where Zwiebach says it schould be roughly 20 Tev 10^12 eV.

Thanks for any clarifiactions

Physics news on Phys.org
moriheru said:
10-18cm=10-16m

Is 0.01 cm = 1 m?

I see.

Related to Embarrassing Mistake in Arithmetic? Check Here for Help!

What is an embarrassing mistake in arithmetic?

An embarrassing mistake in arithmetic is a mathematical error that is considered embarrassing or humiliating, often because it is a simple mistake that could have been easily avoided.

Why do people make embarrassing mistakes in arithmetic?

There are many reasons why people make embarrassing mistakes in arithmetic, such as rushing through calculations, not double-checking their work, or simply not having a strong understanding of mathematical concepts.

Can embarrassing mistakes in arithmetic be avoided?

Yes, embarrassing mistakes in arithmetic can be avoided by taking your time, double-checking your work, and practicing regularly to improve your mathematical skills.

What are some common examples of embarrassing mistakes in arithmetic?

Some common examples of embarrassing mistakes in arithmetic include adding or subtracting incorrectly, forgetting to carry a number when doing multiplication or division, and mixing up signs (+, -, x, ÷) in equations.

How can I get help with an embarrassing mistake in arithmetic?

If you have made an embarrassing mistake in arithmetic, you can get help by asking a friend or teacher for assistance, using online resources or apps to practice and improve your skills, or seeking out a tutor for additional support.