Embry-Riddle or ASU for Physics/Astrophyics

• Thread starter highc1157
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a person's educational background and their current dilemma between choosing to pursue a Space Physics degree at Embry Riddle or ASU. They are seeking advice on which school would be better for their future job prospects. The conversation also mentions the lack of undergraduate research opportunities at Embry Riddle and the larger research opportunities and affordability at ASU. The general consensus is that ASU would be the better choice.
highc1157
Hello,

I used to attend University of California Irvine as a biology major for two years but then decided it wasn't for me and came to Arizona to live with my family and figure out, out of all the choices of career paths I can take, which one is for me! I have been taking courses at my local community college which feeds into Arizona State University. I've finished Differential equations, calculus I-III, Physics I, some programming, general chem up to organic chem, and am currently in Physics-Electricity and Magnetism.

I live right by ASU and Embry Riddle is 2 hours away from me. I just got accepted to Embry Riddle for Space Physics degree, and am also accepted to ASU (where I could pursue Physics and minor in Astrophysics). My heart lies with space and physics, so either major would be perfect for me...my problem is, I don't have any idea which school would be better for my future (i.e, getting a great job).

If anyone could provide any objective information as to which would be the better school, please help me out :D .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I forgot to mention that Embry Riddle's space physics major course guidline goes into extremely less depth compared to ASU.

ASU would have me in 3rd Level quantum mechanics by senior year whereas Embry Riddle barely touches on quantum

You didn't consider NAU? They have a ton research going on in astronomy/astrophysics/planetary science. And not just in the department, many of the physics/astronomy majors do research at Lowell Observatory and the astrogeology division at the US Geological Survey. Embry-Riddle has a lack of undergraduate research opportunities as I have heard from the space physics majors there. And tuition is a lot more on top of that. But if it has to be between ASU and Embry-Riddle, I would pick ASU.

highc1157 said:
If anyone could provide any objective information as to which would be the better school, please help me out :D .

I'd stick with ASU, given that they are a very large research university and only becoming larger compared to most others in the nation.

ASU definitely. As you have stated, the degree at ASU is much more in depth. There are more research opportunities as well and not to mention that ASU is a much cheaper choice. You might also have more options available if you like to do social activities on your free time.

FAQ: Embry-Riddle or ASU for Physics/Astrophyics

1. Which university, Embry-Riddle or ASU, has a better reputation for physics and astrophysics programs?

Both Embry-Riddle and ASU have strong reputations for their physics and astrophysics programs. However, ASU is a larger and more well-known research university, which may give it a slight edge in terms of overall reputation.

2. What are the main differences between the physics and astrophysics programs at Embry-Riddle and ASU?

The main difference between the programs at Embry-Riddle and ASU is their focus. Embry-Riddle's program is more specialized and focused on aerospace and space sciences, while ASU's program is more diverse and covers a broader range of physics and astrophysics topics.

3. How do the faculty and research opportunities compare between Embry-Riddle and ASU for physics and astrophysics?

Both universities have highly qualified and experienced faculty in their physics and astrophysics departments. However, ASU's larger size and research focus may offer more opportunities for students to get involved in research projects and work with faculty on cutting-edge research.

4. Which university has better job prospects for graduates with a degree in physics or astrophysics?

Both universities have strong job prospects for graduates with degrees in physics or astrophysics. ASU's larger size and reputation may offer more networking and job opportunities, but both universities have strong alumni networks and connections in the industry.

5. Is one university more affordable than the other for a degree in physics or astrophysics?

The cost of attendance at each university will vary depending on factors such as residency status and financial aid. In general, however, ASU's larger size may allow for more scholarship and financial aid opportunities, making it potentially more affordable for some students.