Emf induced in a conducting ring.

In summary, the discussion is about whether EMF will be induced in a conducting ring moving with a velocity perpendicular to a magnetic field. It is concluded that if the magnetic flux through the ring changes with time, an EMF will be induced. The concept of a ring being equivalent to two joined rods is also discussed, with the understanding that the EMF in each rod will be in the same direction but opposite senses when looking at the ring as a whole. It is also mentioned that if the magnetic field is constant, there will be no induced EMF. The concept of charges in a conducting system experiencing a force in a magnetic field and creating an EMF is also brought up.
srijag
Consider a magnetic field perpendicular to a conducting ring moving with a velocity, v.When the ring is moving on the ground in translational motion alone, will emf be induced? I am slightly confused because if you consider the two halves of the ring as two rods, emf will be induced in both of them individually, but what about the emf induced in the ring as a whole?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have not given a clear picture of the relative orientations and motion, but if the magnetic flux through the ring changes with time, there will be an EMF.

The ring is performing translational motion and the magnetic field is orthogonal to the motion of the ring. Does it matter if the magnetic flux is changing because I considered the two halves of the ring to be separate rods. That way emf induced in each 'rod' is E= Bl(2R) where R is the radius of the sphere.

srijag said:
The ring is performing translational motion and the magnetic field is orthogonal to the motion of the ring. Does it matter if the magnetic flux is changing because I considered the two halves of the ring to be separate rods. That way emf induced in each 'rod' is E= Bl(2R) where R is the radius of the sphere.

Consider the direction of the EMF induced in the two separate rods.

Suppose we were to connect the left ends of the two rods, and the right ends of the rods, with conducting wires. That's equivalent to the ring. What's the induced EMF across the two connections?

Two rods are not a ring. However you try, the EMF is given by the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the ring.

Nugatory said:
Consider the direction of the EMF induced in the two separate rods.

Suppose we were to connect the left ends of the two rods, and the right ends of the rods, with conducting wires. That's equivalent to the ring. What's the induced EMF across the two connections?

If you apply Kirchoff's loop rule over here, the total EMF will be zero.

MA: I agree that looking at the change (if there is any!) in flux through the ring is the best approach. Nugatory is (I think) trying to come at it from the OP's point of view of regarding the ring as joined rods. The emf in each will be in the same direction in space, but looking at the rods as parts of the ring, in opposite senses around the ring.

Meir Achuz said:
Two rods are not a ring. However you try, the EMF is given by the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the ring.

Nothing is specified about the magnetic field. So it might also be a constant field which means there won't be any EMF induced.

srijag said:
Nothing is specified about the magnetic field. So it might also be a constant field which means there won't be any EMF induced.
If it's a constant B field, there's no point asking the question.

With respect, MA, there might be a point, if the OP is trying to reconcile emf's induced in conductors cutting flux (the 2 rods approach) with there being no emf in the ring.

For the emf to be induced in a moving conductor, you don't require varying magnetic field. So, that's the reason i considered them to be two rods. In that case, emf will be produced in both as in the case of two cells connected in the same circuit. I need help with that part of the problem.

Philip Wood said:
MA: I agree that looking at the change (if there is any!) in flux through the ring is the best approach. Nugatory is (I think) trying to come at it from the OP's point of view of regarding the ring as joined rods. The emf in each will be in the same direction in space, but looking at the rods as parts of the ring, in opposite senses around the ring.

A ring is not the same thing as two rods, no matter how you try to construe the system.

OP, why not just start with two conducting rods connected by wires like Nugatory suggested?

Now, why does EMF occur in the first place for a conducting system moving non-trivially through an external magnetic field? What does the magnetic field do to the charges in the conducting system that causes an EMF to be induced? And how does this relate to the "two conducting rods connected by wires" system?

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
A ring is not the same thing as two rods, no matter how you try to construe the system.

I did say "joined rods", imagining their ends to be connected together to form a ring.

WannabeNewton said:
Now, why does EMF occur in the first place for a conducting system moving non-trivially through an external magnetic field? What does the magnetic field do to the charges in the conducting system that causes an EMF to be induced? And how does this relate to the "two conducting rods connected by wires" system?

When a conducting body moves through the field, the charges in the system experience force 'qvb' and hence, opposite charges move to extreme ends and potential difference is established. this continues until qvb= qe(i.e; force due to electric field in the direction opposite to that of qvb.)

srijag. Do you now have a satisfactory answer to your original question?

Related to Emf induced in a conducting ring.

1. What is the concept of "Emf induced in a conducting ring"?

Emf (electromotive force) induced in a conducting ring refers to the production of a voltage in a closed loop or ring of conducting material when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is governed by Faraday's law.

2. How is Emf induced in a conducting ring?

Emf is induced in a conducting ring when the ring is placed in a changing magnetic field or when the ring itself moves through a magnetic field. This causes a flux (measure of magnetic field) to be linked with the ring, resulting in an induced voltage.

3. What factors affect the amount of Emf induced in a conducting ring?

The amount of Emf induced in a conducting ring depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the ring moves through the field, and the number of turns in the ring. The size and material of the ring can also affect the amount of induced Emf.

4. What is the purpose of studying Emf induced in a conducting ring?

Studying Emf induced in a conducting ring is important in understanding the principles of electromagnetism and its applications. This phenomenon is used in many devices, such as generators and transformers, to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

5. How is Emf induced in a conducting ring different from other forms of Emf?

Emf induced in a conducting ring is different from other forms of Emf (such as batteries or power sources) because it is produced by a changing magnetic field rather than a chemical reaction. Additionally, the induced Emf in a ring is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field, while other forms of Emf have a constant voltage output.