Empirical establishing of Mass-Radius relation for stars

In summary, stars are evaluated based on their mass and radius. A M(R) relation diagram is necessary to prove this. There is no way to find stars of known radius and mass in the Simbad and Aladin databases, but there are plenty of other catalogues that can be used.
Pawell
Hello,

I need to determine Mass-Radius relation for stars, as I prepare myslef to finish my study work. I know it's possible to evaluate it theoritically in the form - M~Rn, but I have to prove it using empirical, observational data. Making a M(R) relation diagram is indispensable so I have to find somewhere stars of known mass and radius. So, are there any this kind of stars catalougues? I can't find any way to filter interesting me information from Simbad and Aladin astronomical databases in the net. Is there any option to filter stars of known radius and mass in there? Supposly, there is no such information.

Please, help.
Regards.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Radius is determined from absolute magnitude and the Stefan-Boltzmann relationship. Mass is determined from binaries, so you should filter on that.

Thank You, your reply was very helpful. Would it be ok if I use Eddington relation: Luminosity-Mass (L~M3) to estimate mass of a star? There are 345 results for absolute magnitude and effective temperature filters. I think it should be enough for my diagram. Anyway, I can't find masses for binaries, where are they in data?

For example, a double star in Simbad:

http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=@747&Name=CCDM J21148+3803AB&submit=submit

Last edited:
Pawell said:
Thank You, your reply was very helpful. Would it be ok if I use Eddington relation: Luminosity-Mass (L~M3) to estimate mass of a star?

You'll have to ask whomever is giving you this assignment. This seems to me close to assuming what you want to prove.

As far as finding the right catalog, I am afraid I can't help you on that.

Vanadium 50 said:
This seems to me close to assuming what you want to prove.

Probably you're right, I suspected that too, that's why I asked. It would me more judicious to find stars by mass yet, I don't believe there is no such a catalogue! Anybody? Anyway, thanks for help. I'll keep seeking.

I have found plenty of needed catalogues in Aladin database, however with different types of data, according to mass-radius only or indirectly: temperature, luminosity - just to set the radius. I go shares with anyone interested in this subject, list of those catalogues below:

Nearest stars until 10pc (Zakhozhaj, 1979-1996)

Catalogue of stars within ten parsecs of the Sun

Spectroscopic study of red giants in M15 (Meszaros+, 2008)

Red giant stars in clusters. II. M13 and M92 (Meszaros+, 2009)

M/L relation of intermediate-mass stars (Malkov+, 2007)

What I need yet is to have lots of spare time to analyse data..
Thanks, and wish me good luck!

FAQ: Empirical establishing of Mass-Radius relation for stars

What is the "Empirical establishing of Mass-Radius relation for stars"?

The Empirical establishing of Mass-Radius relation for stars refers to the process of determining the relationship between the mass and radius of a star through observation and data analysis.

Why is it important to establish the Mass-Radius relation for stars?

Knowing the Mass-Radius relation for stars allows us to better understand the physical properties and behavior of stars. It also helps us to accurately classify and categorize stars based on their mass and size.

How is the Mass-Radius relation for stars determined?

The Mass-Radius relation for stars is determined through a combination of observational data, theoretical models, and statistical analysis. This involves measuring the mass and radius of a large sample of stars and then analyzing the data to identify any trends or relationships between the two variables.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Mass-Radius relation for stars?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the Mass-Radius relation for stars, including the quality and quantity of observational data, the assumptions and limitations of theoretical models, and the complexity of the physical processes involved in stellar evolution.

How can the Mass-Radius relation for stars be used in other areas of research?

The Mass-Radius relation for stars can be applied in various fields, such as planetary science, exoplanet research, and stellar evolution studies. It can also help in understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies and the universe as a whole.