Empirical Formula of a Compound with only percentages given

• Thread starter dacoolguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, to determine the empirical formula of a compound consisting of 62.07% carbon, 27.59% oxygen, and 10.34% hydrogen, first convert the percentages to masses. Then, divide each mass by its respective molar mass to get moles. Divide each mole amount by the smallest mole quantity and adjust the numbers to whole numbers by multiplying by a common factor. This will give you the empirical formula of C3OH6.
dacoolguy

Homework Statement

Determine the Empirical Formula of a compound which, when analyzed, is shown to consist of 62.07% carbon, 27.59% oxygen and 10.34% hydrogen.
The answer is supposedly C3OH6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First,I started by writing the ratio: C : O : H
Then, under each, I wrote the respective percentages.
I divided everything by the lowest percentage (10.34), giving me a ratio of 6:2.668:1, (C6O3H).
I have no real idea of what to do or where I went wrong. Thanks so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm really sorry- worked it out from another thread:)

Percent to mass,
Mass to mole,
Divide by small,
Multiply 'til whole.

Assume 100g of compound. Change % to g. Divide these masses by their molar masses to get moles. Divide each mole amount by the smallest mole quantity of the group. You'll get numbers that are either close to a whole number or close to half (such as 1.5, 2.5, etc.) multiply all of the numbers by a common factor until they are all whole numbers, and this will be the empirical formula.
Thanks to Gannon on thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=224348 :)

PS: how do I delete a thread once I found the solution (before any posts)?

Based on the given percentages, we can assume that we have a compound with a total mass of 100 grams. This means that we have 62.07 grams of carbon, 27.59 grams of oxygen, and 10.34 grams of hydrogen.

To determine the empirical formula, we need to find the smallest whole number ratio between the elements. In this case, we can divide all the masses by the molar mass of each element: 12.01 g/mol for carbon, 16.00 g/mol for oxygen, and 1.01 g/mol for hydrogen.

This gives us a ratio of 5.17:1.72:10.24. We can round these numbers to the nearest whole number, giving us a ratio of 5:2:10.

This means that the empirical formula of the compound is C5O2H10. However, this is not the simplest ratio between the elements. We can divide all the numbers by 2 to get the simplest ratio of 2.5:1:5.

Finally, we can multiply all the numbers by 2 to get whole numbers, giving us an empirical formula of C5O2H10, which can be simplified to C3OH6.

So, the answer is indeed C3OH6. Your approach of dividing by the lowest percentage was correct, but you needed to take into account the molar masses of each element to get the simplest ratio.

FAQ: Empirical Formula of a Compound with only percentages given

1. What is the empirical formula of a compound with only percentages given?

The empirical formula of a compound with only percentages given is the simplest whole number ratio of the elements present in the compound. It can be determined by converting the percentages of each element to moles and then dividing by the smallest number of moles to find the ratio.

2. How do you calculate the empirical formula using percentages?

To calculate the empirical formula using percentages, you first need to convert the percentages of each element to the number of moles. Then, divide the number of moles by the smallest number of moles to find the ratio. Finally, use this ratio to write the empirical formula.

3. Can the empirical formula be the same as the molecular formula?

No, the empirical formula and molecular formula are not always the same. The empirical formula represents the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound, while the molecular formula represents the actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule.

4. How does the empirical formula relate to the molecular formula?

The empirical formula and molecular formula are related in that the molecular formula is always a multiple of the empirical formula. This means that the molecular formula can be obtained by multiplying the subscripts in the empirical formula by a whole number.

5. Can the empirical formula of a compound change?

Yes, the empirical formula of a compound can change if the ratio of elements in the compound changes. This can occur through chemical reactions, where atoms are rearranged and the ratio of elements is altered, resulting in a different empirical formula.