Employment Prospects for Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the employment prospects for engineers, specifically in the field of computer engineering. Some people believe the prospects are great while others warn against pursuing the field. One person shares their personal experience and emphasizes the importance of being a trained problem solver. The demand for engineering graduates fluctuates with the economy, and engineers often have a hand in reducing costs for companies. Overall, while it may not lead to wealth, an engineering career can provide steady employment and satisfaction.
CAC1001
So I would like to major in engineering, but what I am wondering about is, does anyone know what the employment prospects are for engineers right now? I've been doing some Googling, and the only views I keep seeing are that either the prospects are great, or that you have to be nuts to major in engineering today because they are so terrible. The engineering field I would like to study is computer engineering, and on this it's the same, some say the prospects are great, others say FORGET IT. I keep reading people saying things like, "I graduated from a top-10 university with a 3.8 GPA, but thousands of resumes sent out and still no interview..." and so forth. Anyone on here have personal experience with this subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been telling this to younger folks for years:

Surviving an engineering curriculum is a transformative event that deconstructs whatever it was that you were, and turns you into a trained problem solver. Companies ALWAYS will need trained problem solvers. Will you become rich? Most likely NOT. Will your work experience have its ups & downs? Probably so. Will it provide sufficient emotonal & intellectual thrills, steady employment, and satisfaction? Yes and no, that stuff depends mostly on you.

After 30+ years of an engineering career, I cannot imagine doing much of anything else. If you want to gage the pulse of industry's demand of engineering, then I'd stay away from Google and research any of the other 100 online resources that will give you better insight. Mostly, though, the need for new engineering graduates fluctuates with the economy. After all, unless a company is growing, they usually don't have many of those PROBLEMS to solve.

Thankyou for the information. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of engineer were you? (electrical, mechanical, etc...?)

Alot of what engineers do is reduce costs and increase production (which reduces costs) Although like tyger said, its not always easy in a down economy its much better off than most other disciplines, because when companies cut costs, engineers almost always have a hand in it, other than when it is just straight up lay offs.

I can understand your concerns about employment prospects in the field of engineering. It is natural to want to know about the job market before choosing a major or career path. However, it is important to keep in mind that the job market is constantly changing and can vary depending on location, industry, and specific engineering field.

That being said, the overall employment prospects for engineers are generally positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the need for engineers in various industries, such as manufacturing, construction, and research and development.

Specifically for computer engineering, the job outlook is even more promising. With the increasing demand for technology and advancements in fields such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, computer engineers are in high demand. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 5% growth in employment for computer hardware engineers and a 9% growth for software developers from 2019 to 2029.

It is also important to note that while a high GPA and prestigious university can certainly improve your chances of landing a job, they are not the only factors that employers consider. Experience, internships, and networking can also play a significant role in securing a job in the engineering field.

Overall, I would encourage you to pursue your interest in computer engineering with confidence. Keep yourself updated on industry trends and continuously work on developing your skills and gaining experience. With the right mindset and determination, you can achieve a successful and fulfilling career in engineering.

Related to Employment Prospects for Engineering?

1. What is the current employment outlook for engineering?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, about as fast as the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the demand for new and improved technologies in various industries.

2. Which engineering specializations have the best employment prospects?

Currently, the engineering specializations with the best employment prospects include biomedical, environmental, and computer engineering. These fields are expected to see a high demand for skilled engineers in the coming years.

3. How does the level of education impact employment prospects for engineering?

In general, a higher level of education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, can lead to better employment prospects for engineering. This is because advanced degrees provide specialized knowledge and skills that are highly valued by employers.

4. What industries offer the most job opportunities for engineering graduates?

Engineering graduates can find job opportunities in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, construction, healthcare, and technology. The demand for engineers is also growing in emerging fields such as renewable energy and biotechnology.

5. How important is gaining practical experience for employment prospects in engineering?

Practical experience is highly important for employment prospects in engineering. Many employers prefer candidates with previous internships or co-op experiences, as it demonstrates hands-on skills and knowledge. Additionally, gaining practical experience can also help engineers stand out in a competitive job market.