Empty elevator with a max speed going down, find tension on cable.

In summary, the tension in the elevator cable is due to the fact that the weight (mg) acts downwards while the tension (T) acts upwards. The resultant of these two is 'ma' such thatT-mg= ma or T = ma +mg = m(a+g)
ichivictus
My apologies for asking two questions in a short period of time, this is the last question I have. Hopefully one day I'll be skilled enough to answer everyone elses! :)

Homework Statement

An empty elevator has a mass of 722 kg. It moves between floors at a maximum speed of 6.00 m/s. The elevator is stopped on the 20th floor of the building when someone pushes the call button in the lobby (the first floor).

Assuming that it takes 15.25 meters for the elevator to reach its maximum speed, and assuming constant acceleration, calculate the tension in the cable as the elevator car begins to descend. Take the acceleration due to gravity to be 9.81 m/s2. Remember to include units with your answer.

Homework Equations

Kinematics:
y = Vot + (1/2)at2
Vf = Vo + at
Vf2 = Vo2 + 2ay
y = t * [ (Vo + Vf) / 2 ]

Newton's Second Law
F = ma

I read somewhere that tension would be Ft = m(a+g). Does this seem right?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using kinematics I find the acceleration from which the elevator is at rest, to the point it reaches 6 m/s.

I need to solve for t to replace in another kinematic equation. I use the distance equation for it. (I am using y+ in from top to bottom).

15.25 = .5at^2
30.5 = at^2
sqrt(30.5/a)=t

I plug that into Vf = Vo + at

6 m/s = a * sqrt(30.5m/a)
36 m^2/s^2 = a^2 * 30.5m/a
36 m^2/s^2 = a * 30.5m
(36 m^2/s^2) / 30.5 m = a = 1.18 m/s^2

Then I plug that into
Ft = m(a+g)

Ft = 722kg(1.18 m/s^2 + 9.81 m/s^2) = 7934.78 N

I am really bad at tension problems and want to double check that I got this correct. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct to me.

However the reason the tension is in that form is due to the fact that the Tension (T) acts upwards while the weight (mg) acts downwards. The resultant of these two is 'ma' such that

T-mg= ma or T = ma +mg = m(a+g)

ichivictus said:

Homework Statement

An empty elevator has a mass of 722 kg. It moves between floors at a maximum speed of 6.00 m/s. The elevator is stopped on the 20th floor of the building when someone pushes the call button in the lobby (the first floor).

Assuming that it takes 15.25 meters for the elevator to reach its maximum speed, and assuming constant acceleration, calculate the tension in the cable as the elevator car begins to descend. Take the acceleration due to gravity to be 9.81 m/s2. Remember to include units with your answer.

Homework Equations

Kinematics:
y = Vot + (1/2)at2
Vf = Vo + at
Vf2 = Vo2 + 2ay
y = t * [ (Vo + Vf) / 2 ]

Newton's Second Law
F = ma

I read somewhere that tension would be Ft = m(a+g). Does this seem right?

The tension depends on the situation. It is not a law that "T=m(g+a)"

The lift accelerates downward. What forces act on it, in what direction?

ichivictus said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Using kinematics I find the acceleration from which the elevator is at rest, to the point it reaches 6 m/s.

I need to solve for t to replace in another kinematic equation. I use the distance equation for it. (I am using y+ in from top to bottom).

15.25 = .5at^2
30.5 = at^2
sqrt(30.5/a)=t

I plug that into Vf = Vo + at

6 m/s = a * sqrt(30.5m/a)
36 m^2/s^2 = a^2 * 30.5m/a
36 m^2/s^2 = a * 30.5m
(36 m^2/s^2) / 30.5 m = a = 1.18 m/s^2

That is correct, but what is the direction of the acceleration?

ichivictus said:
Then I plug that into
Ft = m(a+g)

Never "plug in" without thinking. Imagine that the rope is cut and the lift falls free with acceleration g. There is no tension, but your favourite formula would give T=m(g+g) is it true?

Newton's law states that the resultant force is equal to ma, both the magnitude and the direction. What is the resultant force? What is its direction?

ehild

rock.freak667 said:
That looks correct to me.

However the reason the tension is in that form is due to the fact that the Tension (T) acts upwards while the weight (mg) acts downwards. The resultant of these two is 'ma' such that

T-mg= ma or T = ma +mg = m(a+g)

It is wrong, without taking the direction of acceleration into account.

ehild

I would like to commend you for taking the initiative to solve this problem and for being open to learning and improving your skills. Your approach to solving this problem is correct and your final answer for the tension on the cable is also correct. It is always important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations and units, which you have done. Keep up the good work!

Related to Empty elevator with a max speed going down, find tension on cable.

1. What is the purpose of finding the tension on the cable of an empty elevator going down at its maximum speed?

The tension on the cable of an elevator is an important factor to consider in order to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the elevator. It helps to determine the maximum weight capacity that the elevator can safely carry and also ensures that the elevator is not putting too much strain on the cable, which could lead to potential malfunctions or accidents.

2. How is the tension on the cable of an empty elevator going down calculated?

The tension on the cable can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the elevator, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the elevator. In this case, since the elevator is going down at its maximum speed, the acceleration is constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors can affect the tension on the cable of an empty elevator going down?

The tension on the cable can be affected by several factors, such as the weight of the elevator, the maximum speed at which it is traveling, the frictional forces acting on the cable, and any external forces acting on the elevator, such as wind or vibrations.

4. Why is it important to consider the tension on the cable when designing an elevator?

Considering the tension on the cable is crucial in elevator design as it helps to ensure the safety and stability of the elevator. If the tension on the cable is too high, it could lead to potential accidents or malfunctions. On the other hand, if the tension is too low, it could result in the elevator being unable to carry its maximum weight capacity.

5. How can the tension on the cable of an empty elevator going down be adjusted?

The tension on the cable can be adjusted by changing the weight of the elevator or by changing the maximum speed at which it is traveling. It is important to carefully consider and calculate the appropriate tension for the specific elevator in order to ensure its safety and proper functioning.