Emulating SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin

• Thread starter Kholdstare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kernel
In summary, the individual is seeking help in emulating a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin under Windows 7 in order to run two softwares, SUPREM IV GS and SEDAN III, which were compiled around 1994 and use sun3/sun4 architecture. The individual is open to trying to run the programs on Linux instead and is wondering about potential changes to the Makefile. It is noted that the programs may not be entirely compatible with current systems.
Kholdstare
Anyone has any idea about how to emulate a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin under windows 7?

I want to run these two softwares SUPREM IV GS and SEDAN III. The are free to download and use from http://www-tcad.stanford.edu/
It seems from the makefile that it uses sun3 / sun4 architecture and was compiled around 1994.

Please report me any success.

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
It'd probably be pretty ugly... Cygwin emulates a UNIX-like shell environment on Widows, but not a whole lot of the underlying system, especially graphics which I imagine your desired programs use heavily. The "TOOLS" page I looked at indicates that you might be able to get it running under some types of Linux, so that might be a better approach. IIRC SUNOS was not be entirely POSIX compliant, so some of the underlying sys and lib calls may not match current reality.

I have access to RHEL 4,5,6 linux. Will I be able to run them there? What will be changed in the Makefile?

Related to Emulating SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin

1. How can I emulate a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin?

To emulate a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin, you can use a tool called "QEMU". This is a free and open-source machine emulator that can emulate various architectures, including SUN3 and SUN4. You can download QEMU from its official website and use it to emulate the desired kernel in cygwin.

2. What is the purpose of emulating a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin?

The main purpose of emulating a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin is to be able to run software or programs that are designed for these specific architectures. This can be useful for testing or development purposes, or for running legacy applications that require a SUN3 or SUN4 environment.

3. Can I emulate a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin on any operating system?

Yes, you can emulate a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin on any operating system that supports QEMU. This includes Windows, Linux, and MacOS. However, please note that the performance of the emulation may vary depending on the host system's hardware and resources.

4. Are there any limitations to emulating a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin?

While QEMU can provide a fairly accurate emulation of a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel, there may be some limitations in terms of compatibility with certain hardware or software. It is always recommended to test your desired applications or programs in the emulated environment to ensure they function properly.

5. Is there any alternative to QEMU for emulating a SUN3 or SUN4 kernel in cygwin?

Yes, there are other tools available for emulating SUN3 or SUN4 kernels in cygwin, such as "Bochs" and "PearPC". However, QEMU is generally considered the most reliable and widely used option. You may want to experiment with different tools to find the one that best suits your needs.