Will an Encoder Measure Correct Rotation with Shaft Movement in X and Y?

Confused_Encoder
I have an encoder that measures the rotational angle of a shaft. The problem is that the other end of the shaft can move in X and Y (forward/backward and left/right) as well as rotate. Assuming I can get couplings to link the shaft to the encoder and the moving item, will the encoder always measure the correct rotation of the item whatever the X and Y position of the item is?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Do you have any pictures or drawings of the setup? Can you link to the datasheets for the items you are using in this project? The more information you can give us up front, the quicker we can lend a hand. Thanks.

EDIT -- Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload attachments.

Confused_Encoder said:
Assuming I can get couplings to link the shaft to the encoder and the moving item, will the encoder always measure the correct rotation of the item whatever the X and Y position of the item is?
If the shaft is parallel to the encoder axis, but not coaxial, then you can use a Schmitt Coupling. Google Schmitt Coupling for simulations.

If the shafts are not parallel, then you will have to define what you mean by "correct rotation" before you can select a coupling that meets your requirement.

Confused_Encoder said:
The problem is that the other end of the shaft can move in X and Y (forward/backward and left/right) as well as rotate.
What is the orientation of the shaft. We need a diagram.

There is a coupling for each situation, we do not yet know your specific situation.
You may need something like a double Cardan Joint to cancel the angular velocity error of the shafts.