End a Program in MATLAB with Error-Checking: Troubleshooting Tips

In summary, Brad says that there is a function that ends the MATLAB application that he hasn't used in a while, but that it exists. He provides a link to the function's documentation so that the audience can look it up.
Jelfish
Hi

I've been trying to figure this out for a bit and thought one of you might know the answer off the top of your head.

I have an if-statement in my MATLAB program that error checks a matrix and vector size. I want the program to print an error message and then end the program (like a ctrl-c) if the error condition is satisfied. Something like this:

Code:
if a~=b
fprintf('STFU N00B');
??
end
% other stuff

where ? is the function the would end the program. Does such a function exist, and if so, what is it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
STFU NOOB? Heh heh heh...That's funny. Sorry I can't help on the Matlab part.

Jelfish said:
Hi
I've been trying to figure this out for a bit and thought one of you might know the answer off the top of your head.
I have an if-statement in my MATLAB program that error checks a matrix and vector size. I want the program to print an error message and then end the program (like a ctrl-c) if the error condition is satisfied. Something like this:
Code:
if a~=b
fprintf('STFU N00B');
??
end
% other stuff
where ? is the function the would end the program. Does such a function exist, and if so, what is it?
Thanks in advance.
Code:
if a~=b
fprintf('STFU N00B');
error('u R not 1337')
end
% other stuff

if you are writing a function, your output variables have been defined, and you want them passed, you can also use the 'return' command.

yes there is a breaker that ends the MATLAB exe...unfortunately i haven't played with MATLAB for 3 years.

LeBrad said:
Code:
if a~=b
fprintf('STFU N00B');
error('u R not 1337')
end
% other stuff

Thanks, Brad! That's exactly what I needed. LeBrad = awesome;

And thanks to everyone else too

Related to End a Program in MATLAB with Error-Checking: Troubleshooting Tips

What is the purpose of error-checking in MATLAB?

The purpose of error-checking in MATLAB is to identify and handle any errors or bugs that may occur during the execution of a program. This helps to ensure that the program runs smoothly and produces accurate results.

How can I end a program in MATLAB with error-checking?

To end a program in MATLAB with error-checking, you can use the "try-catch" statement. This allows you to try a block of code and catch any errors that may occur, allowing you to handle them in a specific way.

What are some common errors that may occur in MATLAB programs?

Some common errors that may occur in MATLAB programs include syntax errors, runtime errors, and logical errors. Syntax errors occur when the code is written incorrectly, while runtime errors occur during the execution of the program. Logical errors occur when the program produces incorrect results due to a flaw in the logic of the code.

How can I troubleshoot errors in my MATLAB program?

To troubleshoot errors in your MATLAB program, you can use the "debugging" tools provided by MATLAB. This includes setting breakpoints, stepping through the code, and using the "disp" function to display the values of variables at specific points in the program.

What are some best practices for error-checking in MATLAB?

Some best practices for error-checking in MATLAB include using meaningful variable names, using comments to explain the code, and regularly testing and debugging the program. It is also important to handle errors in a way that provides useful information to the user and does not disrupt the functionality of the program.