End Behaviour of ƒ(x) = √(x2+x) - x: Calculating Asymptotes with Derivatives

• Thread starter Mathematically
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the end behavior of the function ƒ(x) = √(x2+x) - x can be determined by evaluating the limits as x approaches positive and negative infinity. By taking the derivative and simplifying, we can see that the function approaches |x| - x as x approaches infinity. However, there are small correction terms that must be considered when multiplying by |x|. These terms do not go to zero as x approaches infinity, so the actual end behavior of the function is not zero. To fully understand the limiting behavior, one can use the Taylor series or explore values of sqrt(1+ε) on a calculator.
Mathematically

Homework Statement

Determine the end behaviour of the function ƒ(x) = √(x2+x) - x

Homework Equations

Not quite sure, but I suppose f'(x) would be useful?

The Attempt at a Solution

Essentially what I did was take the derivative of f(x), however I was unsure as to how one would take the limit of the derivative as x approaches positive or negative infinity (to see if f(x) has any asymptotes). Thanks in advance for any help, sorry if I explained this poorly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello MM, :welcome:

Thanks for introducing this "end behaviour" term to me; I didn't know about it :nb) .
I suppose you are interested in limits to ##\pm\infty## .

Mathematically said:

Homework Equations

Not exactly an equation, is it ? What does it give you when ##x\rightarrow +\infty ## ?

I suppose you are interested in limits to ##\pm\infty## .
For ##+\infty##, how can you rewrite f(x) ?

Mathematically said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Essentially what I did was take the derivative of f(x), however I was unsure as to how one would take the limit of the derivative as x approaches positive or negative infinity (to see if f(x) has any asymptotes). Thanks in advance for any help, sorry if I explained this poorly.

$$\sqrt{x^2+x}-x = \sqrt{x^2} \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} -x = |x| \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} -x $$
What happens to ##(1+z)^{1/2}## for small ##z = 1/x##?

Mathematically said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Not really. For the end behavior, all you need to do is to evaluate the limits ##\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x)## and ##\lim_{x \to -\infty}f(x)##.
Mathematically said:

Ray Vickson said:
$$\sqrt{x^2+x}-x = \sqrt{x^2} \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} -x = |x| \left(1 + \frac{1}{x} \right)^{1/2} -x $$
What happens to ##(1+z)^{1/2}## for small ##z = 1/x##?

So as x approaches infinity, will (1+1/x)^(1/2) approach 1? Thus, the function approaches |x| - x ?

Mathematically said:
So as x approaches infinity, will (1+1/x)^(1/2) approach 1? Thus, the function approaches |x| - x ?

Yes, as ##x \to +\infty## we have ##(1+ 1/x)^{1/2} \to 1##, but for large ##x>0## (not yet at ##x = \infty##) there will be some small correction terms; that is,
$$\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^{1/2} = 1 + \text{small correction terms}$$
for large ##x##. Don't forget that we multiply ##(1 + 1/x)^{1/2}## by ##|x|##, so we multiply the small correction terms by the large value of ##|x|##. The result of doing that will be something that does NOT go to zero as ##x## goes to ##\infty##. You need to figure out what the main part of the small correction term actually is, in order to arrive at a correct limiting behavior. If you did not do that you would arrive at ##\lim_{x \to \infty} \: x \cdot 1 - x = 0##, and that is not the right answer.

Ray Vickson said:
Yes, as ##x \to +\infty## we have ##(1+ 1/x)^{1/2} \to 1##, but for large ##x>0## (not yet at ##x = \infty##) there will be some small correction terms; that is,
$$\left(1 + \frac{1}{x}\right)^{1/2} = 1 + \text{small correction terms}$$
for large ##x##. Don't forget that we multiply ##(1 + 1/x)^{1/2}## by ##|x|##, so we multiply the small correction terms by the large value of ##|x|##. The result of doing that will be something that does NOT go to zero as ##x## goes to ##\infty##. You need to figure out what the main part of the small correction term actually is, in order to arrive at a correct limiting behavior. If you did not do that you would arrive at ##\lim_{x \to \infty} \: x \cdot 1 - x = 0##, and that is not the right answer.

Ah, I see. That makes sense although I am not sure how to actually go about doing that; my knowledge of calculus is very very limited. I think my teacher is showing us his solution soon so hopefully it will become clear. Thanks so much for the help! :smile:

If you want to do some reconnoitering: Do sqrt(1.01) , sqrt(1.001) sqrt(1.0001) etc on your calculator. Or peek at the Taylor series for ##\ \sqrt{1+\epsilon}\ \ \ ##.

FAQ: End Behaviour of ƒ(x) = √(x2+x) - x: Calculating Asymptotes with Derivatives

What is function end behaviour?

Function end behaviour refers to the behavior of a function as the input values approach infinity or negative infinity. It describes how the function will behave at the "ends" or extremes of the graph.

What are the different types of end behaviour?

There are three types of end behaviour: asymptotic, linear, and oscillating. Asymptotic end behaviour occurs when the graph approaches a horizontal line, linear end behaviour occurs when the graph approaches a straight line, and oscillating end behaviour occurs when the graph oscillates between two values.

How can you determine the end behaviour of a function?

The end behaviour of a function can be determined by analyzing the highest power of the variable in the function. For example, if the highest power is an odd number, the end behaviour will be linear. If the highest power is an even number, the end behaviour will be asymptotic. If there are multiple variables with different powers, the end behaviour will be determined by the variable with the highest power.

Why is understanding end behaviour important in math?

Understanding end behaviour is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior of a function. It can also help us make predictions about the function, such as its maximum or minimum values, and its overall shape. Additionally, end behaviour can help us determine the limits of a function as the input values approach infinity or negative infinity.

How can you use end behaviour to identify the type of function?

The end behaviour of a function can help us identify its type. For example, linear end behaviour indicates that the function is a polynomial function, while asymptotic end behaviour indicates that the function is a rational function. Additionally, oscillating end behaviour may suggest that the function is a trigonometric function.

Back