Energies and numbers of bound states in finite potential well

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the number of states in a finite potential well and its relation to the constants $\mathcal L$ and $\mathcal K$. It also mentions the transcendental equations for ODD and EVEN solutions and a question about the periodicity of $\tan(\sqrt{W})$. The expert explains that $\tan(x)$ is periodic with a period of $\pi$ and provides an example to clarify the concept.
71GA
Hello I understand how to approach finite potential well. However i am disturbed by equation which describes number of states ##N## for a finite potential well (##d## is a width of a well and ##W_p## is potential):
$$
N \approx \dfrac{\sqrt{2m W_p}d}{\hbar \pi}
$$
I am sure it has something to do with one of the constants ##\mathcal L## or ##\mathcal K## defined this way:
\begin{align}
\mathcal L &\equiv \sqrt{\tfrac{2mW}{\hbar^2}} & \mathcal{K}&\equiv \sqrt{ \tfrac{ 2m(W_p-W) }{ \hbar^2 }}
\end{align}
and the transcendental equations for ODD and EVEN solutions:
\begin{align}
&\frac{\mathcal K}{\mathcal L} = \tan \left(\mathcal L \tfrac{d}{2}\right) &&-\frac{\mathcal L}{\mathcal K} = \tan \left(\mathcal L \tfrac{d}{2}\right)\\
&\scriptsize{\text{transc. eq. - EVEN}} &&\scriptsize{\text{transc. eq. - ODD}}
\end{align}

QUESTION: Could anyoe tell me where does 1st equation come from? I mean ##\tan(W)## repeats every ##\pi##, but if i insert ##\mathcal L## in transcendental equation i have ##\tan(\sqrt{W})##! On what intervals does the latter repeat itself? Does this has something to do with it? It sure looks like it... Please help me to synthisize all this in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
71GA said:
QUESTION: Could anyoe tell me where does 1st equation come from? I mean ##\tan(W)## repeats every ##\pi##, but if i insert ##\mathcal L## in transcendental equation i have ##\tan(\sqrt{W})##! On what intervals does the latter repeat itself?
It's a strange question, I'm not sure to have understood it.
tan(x) is periodic with period = π; it means, for example, that tan(W) = 0 for: W = kπ where k is an integer; if it's tan(√(W)) = 0 it means that √(W) = kπ → W = k2π2.

lightarrow said:
It's a strange question, I'm not sure to have understood it.
tan(x) is periodic with period = π; it means, for example, that tan(W) = 0 for: W = kπ where k is an integer; if it's tan(√(W)) = 0 it means that √(W) = kπ → W = k2π2.

This did help. Thank you.

Related to Energies and numbers of bound states in finite potential well

1. What is a finite potential well?

A finite potential well is a concept in quantum mechanics that represents a potential energy barrier in which a particle can be confined. It is a finite region in space where the potential energy of a particle is different from its surrounding regions.

2. What are the energies of bound states in a finite potential well?

The energies of the bound states in a finite potential well are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. These energies are determined by the depth and width of the well, as well as the mass and charge of the particle.

3. How does the number of bound states change with the depth and width of the potential well?

The number of bound states increases as the depth of the potential well increases. However, the number of bound states decreases as the width of the potential well increases. This is because a deeper well allows for more energy levels, while a wider well spreads out the potential energy barrier and reduces the number of bound states.

4. What is the significance of bound states in a finite potential well?

Bound states in a finite potential well have important implications in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems. They can help explain phenomena such as tunneling and energy levels in atoms, and are crucial in understanding the behavior of materials at the atomic level.

5. How does the concept of finite potential wells relate to real-world applications?

The concept of finite potential wells has many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Examples include the design of quantum devices, such as transistors and lasers, and the development of new materials with specific properties based on their atomic structure and energy levels.