Energy absorbed by an electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility and probability of a 2-photon photoemission process occurring, where two photons strike an electron simultaneously and provide enough energy for it to be ejected from the surface of a metal. The likelihood of this process is lower than single-photon photoemission due to the specific conditions that need to be met. It is also acknowledged that this process can be modeled using a "Rydberg-type" atom and that the topic of the proton's involvement is outside of the scope of the conversation.
sanpokhrel
When radiation of frequency less than threshold frequency falls on a surface of metal, it gives energy to the electron and at a instant later another radiation of same frequency strikes the same electron, if the energy of two photon equals or is greater than the work function of the electron in that metal, does the electron get out of the metal surface?

What will happen if those two photon strike the electron at the same time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that would be something called a "higher-order process", which is significantly less likely than excitation by a single photon. I don't think it's possible to talk about the exact time when a collision happens in a quantum system.

sanpokhrel said:
When radiation of frequency less than threshold frequency falls on a surface of metal, it gives energy to the electron and at a instant later another radiation of same frequency strikes the same electron, if the energy of two photon equals or is greater than the work function of the electron in that metal, does the electron get out of the metal surface?

What will happen if those two photon strike the electron at the same time.

This process is called 2-photon photoemission. It is quite common in accelerator physics where photoelectrons are generated by intense laser source. I've even published a paper that dealt with this.

The process has less probability of occurring than single-photon photoemission, beause (i) the 2nd photon has to strike in the same vicinity as as the excited electron and (ii) the 2nd photon has to strike and give off its energy BEFORE that excited electron has decayed back into the Fermi sea.

I've written more about this here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/violating-einsteins-photoelectric-effect-model/

Zz.

Likes hilbert2 and berkeman
Can this be modeled with a 2-level quantum system, by applying a time-dependent perturbation with a frequency lower than the energy gap between states and calculating the 2nd order time-dependent perturbation theory approximation for the transition probability to the excited state? The main problem would probably be that in the photoelectric effect there's a continuum of final states while in the 2-level system there's only one state of course.

hilbert2 said:
Can this be modeled with a 2-level quantum system, by applying a time-dependent perturbation with a frequency lower than the energy gap between states and calculating the 2nd order time-dependent perturbation theory approximation for the transition probability to the excited state? The main problem would probably be that in the photoelectric effect there's a continuum of final states while in the 2-level system there's only one state of course.

It is often modeled as a "Rydberg-type" atom. Read the references that I gave related to this in the link.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This process is called 2-photon photoemission. It is quite common in accelerator physics where photoelectrons are generated by intense laser source. I've even published a paper that dealt with this.

The process has less probability of occurring than single-photon photoemission, beause (i) the 2nd photon has to strike in the same vicinity as as the excited electron and (ii) the 2nd photon has to strike and give off its energy BEFORE that excited electron has decayed back into the Fermi sea.

I've written more about this here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/violating-einsteins-photoelectric-effect-model/

Zz.
I read your paper. Is there possibility that the radiation will hit the proton. What happens to the energy of photon if it strikes proton. Will it emit another photon by decreasing energy of proton?

sanpokhrel said:
I read your paper. Is there possibility that the radiation will hit the proton. What happens to the energy of photon if it strikes proton. Will it emit another photon by decreasing energy of proton?

This is now outside the scope of your own topic, isn't it?

Zz.

Likes sanpokhrel
ZapperZ said:
This is now outside the scope of your own topic, isn't it?

Zz.
But it would be nice if you would explain.

sanpokhrel said:
But it would be nice if you would explain.

Create another thread with the appropriate topic and maybe someone might. Otherwise, it would be nice to know if your question has been answered. It's not often that a particular question or thread can be acknowledged to be just that.

Zz.

Related to Energy absorbed by an electron

1. What is energy absorbed by an electron?

Energy absorbed by an electron refers to the amount of energy that is taken in by an electron during a physical or chemical process. This energy can come from various sources such as light, heat, or electrical fields.

2. How is energy absorbed by an electron measured?

The energy absorbed by an electron is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV). This measurement can be obtained through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy or electron energy loss spectroscopy.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy absorbed by an electron?

The amount of energy absorbed by an electron can be influenced by several factors, including the type of material the electron is in, the strength of the electric field, the temperature, and the intensity and wavelength of the incoming radiation.

4. How does energy absorbed by an electron affect its behavior?

The absorption of energy by an electron can cause it to move to a higher energy level or even completely leave its current atom or molecule. This can lead to changes in the chemical or physical properties of the material and can also contribute to various phenomena, such as electrical conductivity and light emission.

5. Can energy absorbed by an electron be released?

Yes, energy absorbed by an electron can be released through processes such as emission of light or heat, or by interacting with other particles. This release of energy is often referred to as electron relaxation and is an important aspect of many natural and technological processes.