Energy and roller coaster question

In summary, using the equations U=mgh and KE=1/2mv^2, and applying the concept of conservation of energy, we can determine that the initial height of the roller coaster is 15.76 meters. This may seem illogical as the second hill is much higher, but it is because the formula used had a minus sign instead of a plus, resulting in an incorrect calculation.
enapper
A roller coaster starts at height (h). It goes down this hill and then goes up a second hill that is at a height of 28.5 m at a speed of 15.8 m/s. How high was the initial hill?

Given equations:
U=mgh
KE=1/2mv^2
W=Fd
P=W/T

Honestly, we've never done a problem like this before and I'm unsure how to solve it. I know potential energy is at it's highest point at the peak of the first hill and that energy is always conserved, so I said mgh(1)-1/2mv^2(1)=mgh(2)-1/2mv^2, but I didn't get a logical answer. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi enapper! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

your formula should work …

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong :smile:

Thanks!

mgh=mgh(2)-1/2mv^2(2)

I canceled out the mass because it should be the same throughout the equation and no mass is given, leaving me with:
gh=gh(sub2)-1/2v^2(sub2)

(9.8)(h)=(9.8)(28.5)-(1/2)(15.8)^2

9.8h=279.3-124.82

h=154.48/9.8

h=15.76

This answer seems illogical, though, because normally the cart would not be able to exceed the initial height, and the second hill is much higher than 15.76m.

oh, on second thoughts your formula was wrong …

it should have a + not a - …

conservation of energy is KE + PE = constant :wink:

That makes sense. "The whole is equal to the sum of the parts" sort of thing.
Thanks a million!

FAQ: Energy and roller coaster question

1. How does energy affect the speed of a roller coaster?

The amount of kinetic energy that a roller coaster has determines its speed. As the coaster moves down a hill, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing it to speed up. On the other hand, as it moves up a hill, its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy, causing it to slow down.

2. What type of energy is used to power a roller coaster?

Roller coasters are typically powered by potential energy and kinetic energy. The potential energy is generated when the coaster is pulled up to the top of a hill, and the kinetic energy is used as the coaster moves down the hill.

3. How does the height of a roller coaster affect its energy?

The higher the roller coaster is, the more potential energy it will have at the top of a hill. This means that it will have more energy to convert into kinetic energy as it moves down the hill, resulting in a faster and more thrilling ride.

4. How does friction impact the energy of a roller coaster?

Friction can have a significant impact on the energy of a roller coaster. As the coaster moves along the track, friction between the wheels and the track can cause the coaster to lose some of its kinetic energy, resulting in a slower ride.

5. How does the design of a roller coaster impact its energy usage?

The design of a roller coaster can greatly impact its energy usage. Coasters with steep drops and sharp turns will use more energy, while those with smoother curves and gradual drops will use less energy. Additionally, the materials used in the construction of the coaster can also affect its energy usage.

Back